Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator bracket replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 29, 2002.

After finding out that my Powermaster alt. won't fit on my 89 K5, I decided to reinstall the old alt. During the process, one of the ears broke off on the alt. bracket (the rear non-threaded one used for the longest bolt). The aluminum looked pretty crystalized so I bought a new one for $80 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Now what I'm wondering is what's involved in installing this and what needs to be removed? The manual doesn't mention the alt. bracket at all! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
  1. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

Oct 10, 2001
    is ur powermaster a cs-144??? I remember an artical in pwao where they put a either a half inch or inch worth of washers under where the top bracket bolted to the manifold to make the bigger alt fit.
  2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm guessing your K5 has serpentine belt type brackets, the alternator bracket also supports the power steering pump. The pump pulley has to be removed to gain access to the bolts for the pump. There is a special tool required to remove and install the pulley, you may be able to rent one at a parts store. Once the power steering is removed the bracket is held to the engine by 4 or 5 bolts, remove it and put the new one on.
  3. Yes, it is a serpentine belt. After looking at it I was wonering how the pulley comes off. Looks like I'll head to the parts store and see if they have one for rent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
  4. unsane

unsane Guest

you can buy that tool for the same price as renting it.... I saw one at a off brand tool store called Homier for less than $10.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif