Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Bracket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BizeeB65, Jun 24, 2006.

1. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

So, since my ole gal has some vibration, and the chromie bracket was never installed properly, my alternator now has a home on the floor of the garage, and half the bolt that goes into the passenger head is still in the head. Anyone know if the alternator will just bolt up to the holes where the a/c compressor is now (driver side. V belts)? I know they make a bracket kit for that, but I'm trying to keep this fix cheap. Also, if anyone has a stock bracket layin around let me know.. Thanks!

****Image addeed****

[​IMG]

Ok, so here's the problem. As you can see, the hole closest to the thermostat doesnt line up..... Never did. PO had it this way too. Got a stock bracket from an 85 camaro that is the same size as the chromie bracket i have, and it doesnt line up either. I am going to the yard tomorrow, so does anyone know what year SBC bracket I need? HELP!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think your best bet is to get the broken bolt out. Luckily, the alt bracket bolt you are talking about is easy to get at with a drill, and then use an "easy out" to extract it.

3. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

WHAT BRACKET DO U NEED I HAVE LIKE 3 OR 4 LAYING AROUND!!!lol I GOT THE CHROME BRACKET KIT A CHECKERS FOR LIKE $20 AND IT HAS WORK FINE!!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd try drilling the bolt out first..it might come out easily if its not "bottomed out" in the hole..I've gotten a few out with a sharp punch and a hammer,by tapping it counter-clockwise..or drill and E-Z out..

They did have alternators on the drivers side in the 60's,the 69 -350 motor out of a suburban I had was set up that way..you'd need all the pulleys and brackets too,and finding a set intact is rare as hens teeth here...you could use a "low mount" bracket from Summit or Jegs,bit that may put the alternator right into the path of mud if you off road it...easiest fix and cheapest is to get that broken bolt out of there!..:crazy:

5. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

well, the bracket i have doesnt line up with the hole on the intake manifold (thanks PO). So once I get that bolt out, i still have a less than useful braket.

I will snap a pic and show you my setup. my alternator mounts passenger side with the upper bracket mounting to the water pump and intake manifold. I think I have the larger style water pump, as the chrome bracket wouldnt line up to the intake manifold.

6. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

[\I will snap a pic and show you my setup. my alternator mounts passenger side with the upper bracket mounting to the water pump and intake manifold. I think I have the larger style water pump, as the chrome bracket wouldnt line up to the intake manifold.] I HAVE LIKE 3 OF THE SAME AND A DIFERENT ONE THAT MONTS TO THE INTAKE, THE OTHER ONES MOUNT 2 THE WATER NECK ON THE INTAKE

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those Alt brackets for a small block Chevy are a dime a dozen. Once you get the bolt out, I am sure a CK5 member can get you one, or a company like Summit Racing has them for only $20.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

take a nut the size of the bolt and set it on the spot were the bolt is broken. then fill in the nut with a weld like plug welding. the heat and nut welded to it will 99% of the time bring it out with ease.

9. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

bump, pic added.