Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator bracket?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by steedalx, Jan 27, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Is the alternator suppose to have a bracket that bolts to the back of it? Mine shakes really really bad and looks like something that would tear up out on the trail. I will take a picuture of it tonight but maybe someone could post a picture of how theres bolts on. Thanks

2. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Here is the picture...you can see the one bracket curves over the top and there is another that bolts to the bottom left(if looking at it from the front). Does someone have more than these...or maybe I just need new brackets.

[image]http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9861[/image]

3. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine has the same top braket and a lower one that holds the alt straight..I will try to find a pic for you....

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have an header bracket on the bottom, it has alot of adjustmemt and does the job...

[​IMG]

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You can just barly see the bottom bracket, kinda looks like a goal post, front and back of alt....
    [​IMG]
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can just barly see the bottom bracket, kinda looks like a goal post, front and back of alt....
    [​IMG]
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the 2 brackets that I have but I swear the alternator shakes so bad i'm suprised the belt hasn't sliped off or something broke. I guess I will start with buying some new brackets...it that doesn't work I will make something that bolts from the back down toward the headers. Thanks for the info guys

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Doesn't sound like your lower bracket is squezing your alt.?? If I remember correct there should be sleaves that the bolt goes thru so when you tighten it it 'squezes' tight. Then the top alows for the adjust.
    So it shakes while running? Real bad? mone does not shake or wobble. Maby your alt's shaft bearing is going out/burned out of round???
    Duno man never seen that happen? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Yeah it shakes really bad while running. I have temporarly run a piece of rope from the top bracket to the core support just to drive it around(i'm really not that redneck). I am going ahead and replaceing my alternator while I am at it since I am sure it will be the next thing to go.....does anybody know who sells the brackets that aren't chrome? Seems that is all I can find. Also is it worth going ahead and buying a high amp alternatior? I may end up running a winch one day but besides that all I have is a couple of lights and a Cd player.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

well your cheepest way is the junkyard, duno if places like www.chevyduty.com or www.brotherstrucks.com have engine brackets or not. If they do they may not be cheep.

As for the high amp alt one cheep way to doit is to grab your yellow pages and look up autoelectric catagory and find a place that rebuilds alts and starters they can rebuild the alts for higher ammps. I did this and paid 80 bucks for a 120amp alt that was rebuilt with heavyduty bearings and stuff.
    Now I run a one wire 145amp www.powermastermotorsports.com alt.
    Good luck

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI, here is another pic of the bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

FYI these are 69-72 style and there are steel sleeves in the lower cast iron bracket to make the alt stay tight and straight, if they are gone or junk then alt will sit crooked and not be right

13. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Well I just replaced the alternator and no more vibration. Apprantly over the years it had just wallowed(sp?) out the bolt holes. Anyway all looks good.