Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator, Capacitor?????????

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rebel-Rider, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

Ok i finally decided the subs and amp im gonna do either 2 15"L7 or 2 12"L7 and a monsterous Kicker KX1200.1 and finally my question is if i do this which should i do a new alternator (if so how many amp) or a Capacitor (how many farad) or should i run both am i gonna have any problems if i do only one????? any help is appreciated thanks ADAM

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Pick up a summit catalot or try their web page. They have a 140 amp alternator that is self-described as the alt for peeps with BIG stereo systems. Get one of them, and toss in a couple of caps (summit has these to) and you'll be a-ok.

J

3. Rebel-Rider

jegs has them even cheaper, but i would like more reasons than ill be ok

4. jekbrown

ok, no matter what you do you're screwed... you can never mount that amp in any vehicle. No matter what you do to your alt or amp, it'll never work right.. you'll never be ok. Sell it to someone else quick! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif sheesh,

J

5. Rebel-Rider

Wow, now that was about the dumbest answer i have ever heard im gonna use it , putting it under the center counsel and sell it to someone else i havent even bought it yet

6. jekbrown

the point is, if you ask for advice and get it, don't be an ass.

if that isn't clear enough for you, I can draw a picture. Just let me borrow a few of your crayolas from that box o 64 ya got.

J

7. Rebel-Rider

yeah and my point is that you should shut the hell up, if i wanted a sh*ty answer like that i could have asked my little brother

8. jekbrown

and if you dont want an answer at all, from anyone else... just keep up the attitude. At the rate you're going, you WILL be asking your little brother for advice,

J

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

and if you dont want an answer at all, from anyone else... just keep up the attitude. At the rate you're going, you WILL be asking your little brother for advice

<hr></blockquote>

You know what he came in here and asked a serious question and you jump him over it.. I read your post and there is nothing in there that you where joking so lay off...

10. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

Ok i finally decided the subs and amp im gonna do either 2 15"L7 or 2 12"L7 and a monsterous Kicker KX1200.1 and finally my question is if i do this which should i do a new alternator (if so how many amp)

<hr></blockquote>

Well have a couple of questions for you first..
    1. Do you realize that in order for this amp to push 1200 watts you will need to run it into a one ohm load?
    (on a personal note.. i do not recommend running an amp into this ohm load unless it is specifically designed to run at one ohm. After looking over the specs on kenwoods website i would not feel comfortable running into what they say the amp will handle. Not enough documentation on there part for me. I wouldnt not run this amp below a 2 ohm load...)
    2. Why are you looking into the w7 line up of jl audio...
    (unless you are getting one hell of a deal on these subs they cost to much right now and are a little power hungry.. Personally i would look into the w3 or w6 instead)
    3. What are you looking to gain in the system you are building?

The reason behind these questions is simple.. I see alot of people blow alot of money on high-end, top of the line equipment that they dont even need or can even use and could have gotten alot more for less money. Unless you are installing a competion sound system (and less face it the blazer isnt the vehicle of choice for this) you will not need thees high dollar componts...
    Also take into consideration that if you do add this much low end into the system then you will have to compensate for the high end that you will end up losing... So unless you want to run another amp and more mids and tweets i wouldnt recommend using this setup..
    Please let me know what exactly you are wanting to do with your system and i will be more then happy to help you getting what you need and what you will need to finish the system.. Also knowing what you already have would help...

11. Rebel-Rider

hey thanks for tellin him off i appreciate that,,,,1 now I was talkin to a guy at the local stero shop it will run 1200watts at 1 ohm stereo or 1200 watts at 2 ohm bridged (stable)2. also i am not looking into the jl W7 i am looking at the kicker solobaric L7 ps what did you mean that you would help out with anything i need do you sell stereo equipment??? thanks ADAM

12. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

1200watts at 1 ohm stereo or 1200 watts at 2 ohm bridged

<hr></blockquote>

According to kenwood that is a mono-block amp (only one channel).. meaning that it doesnt have stereo or bridged modes...That tells me the local stereo shop guy doesnt know much about mono block amps... it says that it will go to 1 ohm stable output... there is no bridging that amp...

Personally i do not recommend kicker subs... alot of people like them but personally i think they are over rated and you dont get what you pay for... If interested i can recommend other brands that i feel are better then kicker... but only way you will know for sure is to listen to them all and then make an informed decision..

I do not sell stereo equipment but come across really good deals if you need me to look into anything... I am more then happy to walk you through any help you will need during installation and understanding ohm loads, wiring, speakers, etc...

13. Rebel-Rider

hey thanks but this is not a kenwood amp its a kicker amp, and it doesnt say this on the website but I have seen the amps info and know this, and as for the price of kicker subs i dont think that $200 is bad for one 12

14. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

.. Just answer a couple of questions for a friend about kenwood amps....sorry that i put kenwood in there.. i was typing and wasnt thinking of what i looked up....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.kicker.com/kcsc/mainx.show_page?p_filename=kxdclass.html&amp;p_menu=AMPS&amp;p_bg=AmpSymBG>http://www.kicker.com/kcsc/mainx.show_page?p_filename=kxdclass.html&amp;p_menu=AMPS&amp;p_bg=AmpSymBG</a>
    That is kickers website and it is listed as a mono block amp.. As for 200 a sub... i guess it really depends on where you live at.. I can get 12w6's at about 125 all day long around here.. that is what i meant about the price and what you are going to be using it for..

well either way it is up to you and if you decide you want to use these equipment that it totally up to you. As for your questions you asked...

1. General rule of thumb is 1 farad cap per 1000 watts... being that you are over 1000 watts then you should be running 2 1 farad caps...
    2. Getting a higher output alternator would be the best way to go. Add about 20% of what your stock one is pushing and that should be enough...

I was just trying to help you get the best BOOM for you Buck...Laterz

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Prem,

I can get 12w6's at about 125 all day long around here..

Looks like you and I may need to have a discussion about that....(translation: I may want some!) I thought the 12W6's were no longer available, and certainly did NOT expect to see you quote such a low price for them! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

They are all over the place around here... And the places i go through now me really well since i go in and just kinda b.s. with them and learn what i can while im there.. Since i have the knownledge that i have they dont mind me coming in.. Im not like one of those kids that comes in and knows nothing and wants to learn everything but becomes annoying.. I just build up good relationships with them and they cut me good deals when i come in...Also i help explain things to customers when they get swamped so i kinda work for free for them sometimes...

But they are all over the place around here... there are about 10-15 stores here that carry them and have alot of stock left over.. since the release of the w7 they are droping prices on there w6's pretty quick...

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok i finally decided the subs and amp im gonna do either 2 15"L7 or 2 12"L7 and a monsterous Kicker KX1200.1 and finally my question is if i do this which should i do a new alternator (if so how many amp) or a Capacitor (how many farad) or should i run both am i gonna have any problems if i do only one????? any help is appreciated thanks ADAM

I would suggest that you first look into Crossfire and their products. We just got on with team crossfire last year and my vehicle is doing a 171.3 with one XT15 and 4 crossfire 1000d amps. I had 4 Kicker L7's and two XS100 running them and it was only around a 160.00 The crossfire is a much better product at a better price. Take a look at world finals and see what was in the winners cars. There was more Crossfire in there then any other brand.

As to answer you original question... go with the alternator before the cap as you have to have power for a cap to help and if your alternator can't keep up then it hurts more then it helps. Also consider a battery upgrade and adding an aux. before the cap. Most serious competitors in DB Drag which I compet in DO NOT use caps. SQ vehicles are more prone to use caps ;-) feel free to shoot me an email if you need Crossfire info, product or have questions on Kicker or Crossfire