Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator - CS130 to CS144 Possible?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZ_Overdrive, Aug 29, 2003.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

On my 89' burb when kicking on the rear A/C (high) my current alternator struggles to maintain 13v. What I would like to know is if anyone has swapped out their CS130 (105 amp) with the CS144 (120 amp)? The CS144 is only listed for 454 engines and mine is a 350. I did a search and read the article from alternatorparts.com which indicated that the bolt pattern and wiring was identical for both types of alternators. Is there a difference in the pulley used on a 350 vs 454? I am assuming that if there is a diff then I can just swap out the pulley for my 350.

This seems like a strait forward swap but just wanted to ask around to see if anyone had done it before. And no, I am not interesed in the 140 amp and above type of alternators(modified/high output). I just wanted to squeeze a few more amps out.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

The CS-130 and 144 have the same plug but im not sure about the mounting points. I thought the 144 was slightly larger and had different mount points, I could be wrong.

The Amp output of the alternator does not drive the Voltage output. The Voltage regulator inside the alt will set the voltage. As long as you are running 12.5 volts minimum the battery is still being charged and not drained. Usually the wiring guage and length will cause the voltage to drop, not the current output. Is the voltage low while idiling or while driving? Your probably OK, but if you want to swap to a cs-144 try Autozone, they have some of the cheapest parts on Delco Remanufactured alts.

BTW you can get CS-130's on different output ratings including a 120A version. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Where can I get a CS130 @ 120 amps? Also, the voltage gauge reads 13v or slightly higher @ idle. It's only when I crank up the A/C and set the rear on Hi do I see the drop. It appears to be working OK now but I was planning on adding a couple of fog/off-road lights and wanted to be sure I had enough juice.

Also, I looked up the various code IDs in the glove box and there is a code that references a 130 amp alternator. I am not sure if I was reading the code right but the unit looks like a 130 and I see no parts listings for a 350 with a 144.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

13 v is still charging your battery. Unless it drops below 12.6 or so, I'd say it's fine.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where can I get a CS130 @ 120 amps?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Alternatorparts.com sells them. I have not found a GM p/n for them. Even though the CS130 is rated at 105A it is more like 110A. The CS130 stands for "Charging System 130mm Stator" so the CS144 is a 144mm Stator thus higher output.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't experiencing actual decreased voltage problems (excessive dimming of lights when you turn on AC or heater) test that your alternator output is actually what the gauge says it is with a voltmeter.

It could very well be that the gauge is just "off" and you are worrying needlessly.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

This is what you do, Go to the bone yard get a cs130 core. Take it to your Alternator/ starter rebuilder and tell him that you would like it rebuilt and tell him what you expect it to do. Cs130's can easily be built from stock specs all the way up to 180 amps. Also find a shop that has the "iceburg" rear cover. This has a bigger bearing in it and has fins cast into for better cooling. At my local shop you can get a cs 130 with iceburg cover built to 180 amps for 150 bucks. This includes all new parts, they are less if they dont need as much stuff repalced. If you cant find a place to do it ill give you the phone number of the place that does mine, or be happy to be the middle man free of charge. As far as a drop in voltage goes repalce your alternator wire with a nice 2 gauge wire with some good soildered ends, and a good ground this will make a world of difference, your headlights will benifit to.