Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ALTERNATOR DIED

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86DIESEL, Oct 12, 2002.

1. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

I need an alternator for the K10 and need to get it tomorrow (Sunday Oct 13th). I would like to get a better than stock alternator but doubt any of the local stores that will be open tomorrow sell a high amp alternator and definitely not one with a warranty. The factory one sells for about $80 at autozone. I'd prefer to get a better than stock alternator since this one has died and been rebuilt several times already and I have a winch. Are there any high amp alternators from a different vehicle that will hook to the wiring and the mounting brackets that may be at chain parts stores? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you're still interested, but the powermaster alternator sold by 4WP will bolt on, but you have to clock the housing.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You have to remember one thing though, if you have a diesel, you should get an alternator for a diesel, it get's higher amps at lower RPM's since the diesel works at lower RPM's
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

Are you sure about this?

In regular driving, the engine RPMs are about the same.
    A truck with 3.42 gears and a 700-R4 at a given speed will run the same engine RPMs no matter what engine it has.

BTW, my buddy that has the powermaster on his diesel K5 has had no problems. It has been on for about 7 months now and his K5 is his daily driver.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I switced mine over to a one wire setup so I could isolate the alternator better! had to rewire the starter and some other things, but let me say, it's the best thing I've ever done!!!! I have two yellow top batteries running just my starter, it turns over faster than a gasser!!!! and a red top running my accessories and the truck! everything from the radio to the glowplugs runs off the red top and the two batteries cells are isolaed from one another! this way, I always have power to start my truck, no matter what! When I bought my 140 Amp alternator, I dodn't buy it for a gasser, I just bought one from Jegs and put it on, it was for a small block Chevy and went right together! Works perfectly!!!!! I run about 15-16 volts constant, even at idle, and have never had an electrical problem since..... I must admit, the isolator helps a lot of that! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

At idle is the most important thing in an alternator, and diesel idles slower.
    Second the RPM's are not the same, that is why a Diesel is always geared higher, and that is why when they came out with the diesel in 82, they put the 700 in it, to give it more range. they didn't offer it in gasers untill later.
    A diesel 6.2 has a working range of 500 to 3500 RPM, a gaser has it at 1000 to 4500 or 5000.
    My perkins is governed at 2500 RPMs. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    At idle is the most important thing in an alternator, and diesel idles slower.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the haynes diesel techbook, page 2-39, the 6.2 has a slow idle setting of 650RPM (or whatever your underhood sticker says). This is also a common idle speed for gas engines.
    Idle performance is not "the most important thing in an alternator". Most engines are driven more than they are idled. Not many people idle to work.

Second the RPM's are not the same, that is why a Diesel is always geared higher, and that is why when they came out with the diesel in 82, they put the 700 in it, to give it more range. they didn't offer it in gasers untill later.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Geared higher than what? Lots of gas motors came with 2.73 rear gears.

A diesel 6.2 has a working range of 500 to 3500 RPM, a gaser has it at 1000 to 4500 or 5000.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Working RPM is NOT "common usage" RPM. The gas motor in my daily driver hardly ever goes over 2500 RPM. 90% of my drive is at 2000 RPM.

If your alternator speed is so important to you, and you think your diesel is too slow to make it output full power (I believe I tested a powermaster at full power, 140A, at around 1200 RPM), then use a smaller pulley.

My perkins is governed at 2500 RPMs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Shouldn't be too hard to go back to a 6.2... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

Thanks guys for the info. I wound up getting a 72amp( it believe it was 72) alternator from Autozone since they were the only store open on sunday. It cost me $70 and came with a lifetime warranty. I would have gotten an aftermartket 140amp or at least an ac/delco 100amp but neither of those was available on a sunday afternoon and i needed the truck on the road. The higher amp would be nice when using the winch. At least the one thats in there now is a little better than the stock one /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I put a new glow plug module on it as well so it cranks a little easier now too. Thanks though.