Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator dilema, what should I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Got a 140 amp for a '94 Pontiac Trans Sport, doesn't bolt right up......

What should I do?

1. Break out the welder and grinder and 1.5" square tubing and attempt to build an extension onto my current bracket?

2. See if I can't find a custom bracket aftermarket?

3. Take it back and see if the '86 Buick Park Avenue 120 amp alternator bolts right up?

Here's how close the Pontiac alt. is......My stock bracket needs to extend approximately 2" further out to be able bolt up the top half of the alternator. This is as close as it can get without the alt. fan rubbing the bracket.

One last thing....The pulley on the Pontiac is 5 groove, I have 4 groove. Swap pulleys or can a 4 groove belt properly run the alternator.

[​IMG]

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

no question here, break out the welder and fab up something. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i would think as long as the grooves themselves line up. that is if you draw a sight line down the alt pully and the others, do they match. if the fifth groove is out/in board of the rest what do they (the grooves on the belt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) care if there are ten grooves on the pully.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    no question here, break out the welder and fab up something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about, the more I want to do it. I think I have enough 3/16th" plate sitting around to cut up and add an extension. Think I'll go down to pick and pull this week to find another bracket so I can work on this.

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

buy a new alternater. how much is it where you live? i have one i'll send you /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Fab, and swap the pulley....Then check that new question on T.B. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    buy a new alternater. how much is it where you live? i have one i'll send you

[/ QUOTE ]

Well okay, this is a new alternator. So if ya want to be so helpful, tell me which application will bolt right up to my '87 SBC that will kick out about 130 amps.............That is cheaper than the $100 that I'm spending on this 140 amp unit.