Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator/engine noise

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Peeetah, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

I recently installed a CB in my truck and I am experiancing alot of the noise mentioned above. I hard wired the CB to the lighter feed. I am wonder if hardwiring the CB to my radio feed will fix this problem. Also will splicing the CB into the radio feed affect the radios performance?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The absoulete best spot is directly to the battery. The problem with wiring to the accesories inside is that the power is "dirty". The power comes from the altenator which produces noise in sensitive electronics. Just run the hot lead directly to the battery and fuse it near the terminal and ground it in the cab. You have to watch it though that you don't leave it running if you leave. You could run a relay to the radio so it is controlled by the ingtion switch. Personally I'd just remember to turn it off, less hassle and cutting.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have mine hooked directly to the battery and i still get engine noise really bad. how can i fix this?

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. I have seen where a bad diode in the alternater caused bad noise(bad alt.) The make suppresser kits, as a last result, but you should be able to "get the noise out" without it. Also make sure that all your connections are good(even ones not associated with you radio.) Take them ALL apart, and clean them good, and make shure they are tight when you put them back. Also as strange as it may seem, make sure your radiator ir grounded good! Anyways, good luck!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

thank you i did not know that about the bad alt wich i do have so i will try that first

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud