Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hammer, Jan 1, 2002.

1. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I have 2 diffrent alternators that both put out 14.8-15 volts and I just put a new regulator in one of the alternators and I still am getting 15 volts. the gauge on the dash, the voltmeter, and the guy at the store all confirm this is correct. the one at the local parts store said I was putting out 188 amps at idle on a stock ac delco 78 amp alternator. does any body else know what could be the problem or had a problem like this before. Also I have 4 gauge ground wires to body, frame and engine to eliminate any posibility of a ground problem. Could it be on of the wires from the alternator bad. Thanks for any help you can give me.

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

also the battery is new and at 12.6 when the truck is off

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

WHOOOOSSSSHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hammer, that went right over my head.... I have no idea, for once, I am silenced.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

4. cooker

cooker Registered Member

the guy that said u r put out 188 amps on a 76 amp alt hmmm sounds interesting i would get a second opinion the voltage is fine at 14.2 to 15 thats where its susposed to be when you start pulling to many amps for the alt the voltage will start to drop but at 188 amps that should not happen hmmmmm

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

First you need to find a different place to test your alternator. I'd easily believe that a stock 78 amp alternator was putting out only 18.8 amps at idle. But there would be a bright, blue-white flash from inside the alternator before it managed to put out 188 amps. [​IMG] The internals just aren't beefy enough to deal with that kind of current.

Did you have them run the same test on one of their new/rebuilt alternators?

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

just rebuilt one of the alternators over the holiday and had it tested again today 14.89 volts constant and load tested to 93 amps everything else is good.