Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Info - Onboard Welder

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Mar 22, 2001.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Here is a question for you. I got an enormous alternator that appears brand new with my truck. I think it probably came off the 6.2 that was in it before. This truck was a 24V CUCV but converted to 12 V with dual batteries. He used it with all sorts of heavy power accessories including winch, lights, slide in camper, and camper trailer. The alternator looks brand new but I have no way to hook it up and test it. The local parts houses only test Voltage output and there are no numbers on the tag. Nada. Completely blank.

How can I determine what I have with respect to amperage output? I don't know a single thing about alternators (other than how to tell if they are bad and replace them) or testing them and I have no way to hook it up and run a meter across it. Can you even test max amperage output with a meter? I don’t think so but I don’t know.

I'm thinking of making brackets to mount this thing and use it to drive an on-board welder if it packs the juice.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Re: Alternator Info - What is it?

There's a dude on the board that has a CUCV and could probably answer you Q. Or maybe do a search on the internet for CUCV. Or edit your subject to include CUCV to get his attention. Or course, the next person will probably answer your Q

[​IMG]

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If its a stock alternator, usually they have the number and amp rating right on the case. Is that what you meant by no tag?

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. BadDog

Actually, the black tag near the top bracket tab has a shiny silver area that should (I think) have that info. The shiny silver area is completely blank.

Bad Dog

5. BadDog

I don't think this is the original CUCV alternator since this one appears new and was (I think) used after the 12V conversion.

Bad Dog

6. dyeager535

All the alternators I have seen, except rebuilt ones, have the amp's cast right into the side of the casing...as it sits on the motor, if you were able to rotate it around the pulleys axis, you would eventually see it, along with some other numbers. but its pretty obvious, if its not there, then I have no clue. Sorry!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. BadDog

I looked around the case and could find no cast numbers. Only the little black tag. I doubt pictures will help but I decided it was time I figured out how to do this so here are a few quickies. For scale, the little black plug is about 1". This thing is huge compared to the stocker on my TBI 350 out of a loaded Sub.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bad Dog

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

OK, CUCV altenators are 12V (isolated ground) both of them! Each altenator powers one battery; combined they make 24 volts for the 12V/24V system. Running, the left alt tests @ 12V, the right alt tests @ 24. They don't look much different than a regular Delco altenator. 'Thought your was bigger? If you want, I can take a closer look at few CUCVs and check for identifying markings and connections. Oh yah, all CUCVs spec the Amp rating at 100 (except for the M1010 ambulance 200). Don't know if that was total or individual altenator rating (my guess is total - smaller altenators put out MORE at lower rpms).

9. BadDog

Ahh, I had no idea that they worked this way. Hmm, do the pics help at all?

Bad Dog

10. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've also seen the amperage stamped in to the case in the area of the black tag, maybe it's underneith it.

[​IMG]

11. BadDog

Aha! Give the man a cigar! It was under the blank tag. Hard to make out but it looks like it is a 100A as suggested by DieselDan. Oh well, I was hoping for more.

Thanks all...

Bad Dog

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That looks like a CUCV alternator to me. We had a rash of electrical problems with ours on base a couple years ago; I recall being stuck on the road a couple different nights, trying to make some sense out of the electrical system so I could get the headlights working enough to get me back to base...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. BadDog

BTW, I know that smaller alternators produce more power at lower rpms but the larger alternators do it without as much heat buildup. What I want to do though is use it for an onboard welder like the one described at the pirate board. I have no idea how good this will work but it looks interesting and with the alternator lying around, I thought I might give it a try. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    http:// http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/index.html

Bad Dog

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well hell, if it doesn't work, or you cook the alternator trying, at least you're not out the money you WOULD have paid for an alternator!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

15. dyeager535

That does look a little bit different than what I have seen. Almost looks "new" maybe its one of those "performance parts" I really can't help you there..the casting is awfully smooth looking, compared to the ones I typically see. It could even be a Delco rebuilt unit....sorry I can't help out more!

Dorian

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, had to fire up the Manual as something looked alittle odd. I couldn't remember seeing the flat plate in front of the cooling fan. That's the altenator from the M1010 ambulance CUCV 200 Amp system. Guess they add the total amperage together (2 x 100 amp altenators), learn something new.... I believe these (100 amp) altenators to be externally regulated (50 amp alts were internal). Might be worth something, to somebody, as the isolated altenators are kinda expensive. Maybe you might want to advertise it on the MVPA board - could help pay for an ArcLink or Premier welder.

PS. JarHd, if ya swap the batteries around, you can run on battery power (for lights) to get back to the motorpool (voice of experience, ugh).

17. BadDog

Cool, thanks for the info. .

Bad Dog