Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator interchange question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am wondering if the alternator off an 87 GMC Jimmy (350) will fit on an 85 GMC Jimmy (350). I need a spare and I know where to get one off an 87. Thanks for any help. I asked at Autozone today, and his answer was no, but I saw another alternator on his list that matched so I don't rightly know. Thanks

Harley

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

alternator pulley on my 87 uses a wide flat belt not sure what you have on your 85. gotta love the interchangability of gm parts though.

3. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

If they are both the old school big cases, which i think they are..they will interchange. The wiring should be the same, but the pulley should be changed out. Those pulleys will completely swap..make sure you get the spacers and everything. The 87 alternator might actually have a higher amperage rating...if so...make that your normal one and make that 85 your spare one ! Call Autozone and just ask the amperage for the two years. I work at Autozone and know that you can get alot of people behind the counter that don't know what's going on.
    Blake

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

So it should be ok, as long as I change my pulley onto it.

Thanks
    Harley

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, if they haven't been rebuilt, the amp rating of the alternator will be stamped into the outside of the case, but it is usually covered by the brackets holding it in place.