Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator - NEED HELP QUICK!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RatMan, Dec 18, 2002.

1. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

well, the truck decided to crap out on me today. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif looks like ill be needing a new alternator. what do yall suggest i get? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: Alternators

I've got a Powermaster 140 amp I got from 4WP and it's the 3rd one but I like it haha
    What ever you do get a good one not a Checker rebuilt, If you don't need that much power try a NAPA 100 amp
    Do you have duel batterys? or a winch, big sound system?

Eric

3. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

Re: Alternators

i have one battery right now, someday i'll have two /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif my friends dad owns a car audio shop so soon i might have a mild system (decent speakers all aound, small amp, one or two subs). cant afford a winch at this point /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif basically, its pretty stock other than two offroad lights that hardly ever get turned on. im just looking for a decent alternator thats not gonna crap out on me.

4. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

fergot to mention that i need to get this thing in by this afternoon so i can get it out of my friends driveway. i hate being on a time table

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got one for a 1 ton truck with all the accesories. Bolt it on at 100 amps or so. I also run dual batteries with a winch. Seems to work out fine.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Tell them at Auto Zone you want an alternator from a Suburban from about 87. Should be a 90-110 amp life time warranty. I'm still running a 65 amp on my 75. I have a 90 amp on the 79. The 79 had a 65 amp and boy you could tell a huge difference in how fast the power windows moved at idle.

7. Grim-Reaper

I looked it up at advance and a 87 Sub has a 105 amp alternator for $70 but it is shown with a serintine pully. It might accept the V belt pully

8. Sandman

That is the same alternator that I bought. You can put on the v belt pulley which I did. I then ended up with squeeking belts that eventually broke. I dont know if this would happen to everybody but I ended up doing the serpantine belt changover to get rid of the problem.

9. Grim-Reaper

I went looking at different alts from different cars and trucks. Nothing before 87 was bigger than a 90 amp with a V-Belt. 87 was the first year of that 105 amp as well as the first year with surpentine.

10. Sandman

I wonder if the higher amps put more strain and that is one of the reasons they went to serpantine. Or they went to serpantine and they could run a higher amp? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

maybe an alternator rebuild shop could build one that didnt need the serpentine just pushed more amps.

nathan

12. Sandman

I would think they could. The ones around here will rebuild your starter cheaper than it costs to get a new one.

13. Grim-Reaper

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I wonder if the higher amps put more strain and that is one of the reasons they went to serpantine. Or they went to serpantine and they could run a higher amp?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is this one of them Chick or Egg first deals? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

thanks yall!! headin out to the store now.

FYI - i have a serpentine blt setup now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif