Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Not charging....Voltage regulator ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Nov 13, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

OK....I got all my other issues resolved except one...the alternator is not charging the battery. I pulled the wiring harness out of the voltage regulator and with a wire ran a jump from the red wire(#2) to the dark blue wire(#4) on the harness.....the alternator then begins to charge. So I figured a bad regulator so I got one today at the parts store. Nope still not charging with the new regulator. Can someone give me something else to try? Thanks

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

How do you know its charging?

Do you have some sorta external regulator? All the gm ones I've dealt with are always internal. ? Odd that you were able to jump those as well- I've gotten some seriously rediculous voltages out of those two pins when the regulators fry....

3. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How do you know its charging?

Do you have some sorta external regulator? All the gm ones I've dealt with are always internal. ? Odd that you were able to jump those as well- I've gotten some seriously rediculous voltages out of those two pins when the regulators fry....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a tester hooked up to the battery it shows the alternator is not charging at all when the harness is hooked to the voltage regulator....and yes it has an external voltage regulator.

4. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

5. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Ok I posted a picture of the regulator. The only piece that I did not replace was the round, cylinder shaped thing that plugged into the bottom of the regulator. Does anybody kow what this is?

6. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Ok if this is going to be a huge pain I assume I could upgrade to an internally regulated alternator?? If so does anybody have a model #....Thanks