Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator options?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Jun 23, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of putting my truck back together and need an alternator for my truck since the old one is dead. Are there any optional alternator's that I can install in the K5 that will give me some more amperage? I am not scared to have to do a little fabrication to get a high amperage alternator in the truck. Thanks.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Installed a 200amp Powermaster about a year ago and it was simple bolt on. No fabrication or mods needed at all, very easy install. Haven't had any prolbems out of it either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

which kind, a SI style or CS style alternator?

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

A single wire 10 SI is a nice alternator, just one wire to fiddle with. They can build them at around 90 amp's, or more.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm in the midst (was gonna put it on Saturday, but played slacker) of an attempt to put on an alternator from a '94 Pontiac Trans Sport, 140amp model.

I've had to do some custom bracket work to fit it, there's a special conversion plug from GM ($20) to switch from my '87 style plug to the newer one, and of course getting a bigger cable for the battery hookup.

The major problem I ran into was the A/C lines, and the main reason I didn't feel like f'n with it on Saturday. They are sort of out of the way, but the last test fit with the custom bracket, I didn't feel comfortable with the lines being that close to the alt. rotor, and they are a pain to move.

Cost of alternator? $170 from Autozone with a $70 core charge, so in the end it would be $100........

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Scratch the price, it will cost $90 for the alternator, forgot the a** raping CA sales tax......