Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator or battery ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Sep 18, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

My beast took a dive today and it's either the battery or alternator. Here is what happened. I was driving with my radio on kinda loud and heard fuzzyness at loud volumes and it bugged me so i looked at my volt meter and it was at like 8 volts!!! so i turned my head lights off and my radio off and drove to my destination about 2 miles away at about 10-12 volts the whole way. Then on the drive home (after a jump start) the throttle begins not responding much (fuel injected) so i look down and it's at 8 volts again, well i creep another mile or so then it completey dies and no battery power at all, so i think i am getting the battery and alternator replaced tomorrow, what does it sound like is the problem though?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just replace the alternator. That's the only thing that's wrong. Same thing happened to my dad's suburban. The only reasons why you might want to replace the battery is if its more than 3 or 4 years old, and your wallet has been too heavy lately.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i'll replace both just cause i have $$ to toss around..... NOT but i will get a new battery cause i have a big radio system and sometims listen to is parked with the engine off.. thanks though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif