Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator or some kind of short??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Nov 16, 2001.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Quick question for you electrical guys:

Over the past couple of days, I have noticed something happening here on my 87. While driving, and sometimes just idling, the volt meter will jump around below 12 volts, the headlights (and all interior dash lights, etc) will blink off quickly and then come back on. This isn't constant, but probably happens at least once a minute?? Is this indicative of a wiring short, or should I look at the alternator? It's a relatively new 140 amp Powermaster, so my first thought would be some kind of short. This started developing on the way home from our last 4x4 trip two weekends ago, but has gotten worse.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check the ground strap from the body to the passenger side head. they will do all sorts of weird stuff if those are bad.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Ah, didn't think of that...will check! Thanks

4. I would go ahead and check all the electrical connections. There are a number of wires that could have worked loose that would cause this.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whoa....sounds like my problem on my S10, cept I got more than that!! Imagine driving 85 - 90 down the road and you feel yer tanny drop from OD to 2nd!!! I think mine is a vehicle speed sensor problem and I am getting one so I know what it looks like!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I've been fighting that problem for the past 6 months. While sitting at a stop light the volt meter would suddenly drop by a volt or so and the lights would dim (while I was looking at the reflection off the car in front of me). The engine would never die though. I replaced my altenator with a 140 amp one and also installed an optima red top but that didn't solve it, but an upgrade I was meaning to do anyways. [​IMG] Then I hooked up a digital meter to the battery and would watch the voltage drop along with the meter on the dash so I knew my dash meter wasn't going out. I cleaned all the corrosion off of any connections I could find (i.e. battery terminals, altenator, etc.) and haven't noticed it in a week or so. Amazing what 12yrs of built up corrosion can do ... [​IMG] Still keeping an eye on it though.

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

could be just about anything, but you normally start with the basics. as mentioned, i'd check the gound cable(s)??, as well as the positive cable (check for corrosion as well). make sure all connections are tight, as well as the wire running to the back of the alternator, starter, etc. you might also want to check the fluid level in your battery if it's not the sealed type, but most are not sealed.

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html>http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html</a>

8. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

you might also want to check the fluid level in your battery

<hr></blockquote>
    or your blinker fluid level [​IMG][​IMG]