Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Problem!!!!!!UPDATE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkulzNBonz, Jun 22, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Here's my dilemma. I have an '86 K5 w/ a 305. The alternator went out on it yesterday, so I went and picked up another (lifetime warranty), and installed it. Started the truck, and the ampmeter showed full charge (16 amps). Anyway, I drove the truck around for less than an hour run time, and the new alternator is dead! Did I get a bad alternator, or is there something else in the wiring that is killing them. The battery checked out good.

You won't believe this!!!!!!! After a long investigation, my five year old son found a wire coming off my alternator that the insulation was gone. After taping it I started the truck and was running a good 14 volts/amps (whatever-I'm not any good at electrical)!!!! All that over a shorted wire. Anyway, thanks for the ideas! Maybe I'm done for a couple of days (knock on wood /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )

John

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Alternator Problem!!!!!!

It is possible to get a crapped out alt. that is wrapped wrong internally. Never seen them go out in a few hour but have in under a week. How are you checking that it works or doesn't work? With the truck running it should read with a voltage meter 14 - 16 ma at the connectors showing that the battery is indeedrecieving charge.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Take it back and exchance it for another one. You have an intearnal regular on the Delco-Remy 2147. I used to rebuild startes and alternators for a living. With an intearnal regulator, it shouldn't be throughing a full charge like that. Next time find out if there is a rebuild shop for alternators near you. That way you can save some money and have it done right. We would build higher output units if the customer wanted one. Nothing but a heavier stater, and we would always run them up to make sure everything worked right. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. SkulzNBonz

I've talked to a couple of guys at work, and they say there could be a shorted/loose wire that is drawing the alt. down. Is there any validity to this? I'm going to trace the wiring when I get home today. I'm checking the output on the gauge in the truck (stock gauge). By the time I got back to the house last night I was obviusly running on battery power, and the gauge was reading in the red on the low side. Tried another battery and the gauge showed about 10-11 amps, so I know the alt. isn't charging.

Thanks for the help,
    John

5. SkulzNBonz

TTT