Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Apr 4, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

So all a suddenly my idoit light for my alternator came on. I have a brand new alternator and batteries. But I took it off and got it tested, they said it was bad, so I put a extra old alternator on that was still good. But it still doesnt seem to be charging right. I think something with my wiring isnt right, its a m1008 that i converted to 12v, but I swear the wiring on this truck sucks. My question is, the alternator can be connected straight to the batteries right? Also the 2 prong wire is just for the idoit light right? I checked for shorts but didnt fine any, no wire seem to be getting hot.

2. greyhoundjc

greyhoundjc 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can go straight from the alternator to the battery. If you can, mount the lead from the alt to the top post on the battery instead of the screw in's on the front.

3. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

swear i figured it out, my starter wire was too close to my block and melted through a little bit.