Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Pulley Nut Torque

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by btolenti, Nov 1, 2004.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how much to torque a pulley onto an alternator????? I need to swap the 5 rib serpentine pulley onto my new powermaster alternator. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

aww ya cheaped out and got the power master huh? damn guess illl have to be the guniea pig /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've always used an air impact gun to remove and install altenator pulley nuts--never had any luck using an allen wrench in the center of the shaft to hold it from turning--always strips the allen wrench hole.Dont know how much tourque it really takes,never saw it listed anywhere--but I know if its too loose,it will come off on the first high speed run you make with it--dont ask me how I know this.... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    aww ya cheaped out and got the power master huh? damn guess illl have to be the guniea pig /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

haha! yeah, sorry about that. I just didn't want to have to be the first to do this...plus I was concerned with the serpentine belt being perfectly aligned with the rest of my pulleys. I figured I could just get the powermaster and call it good. It is a 12SI alternator case, so I don't think cooling will be a problem (I originally thought the #47294 was a 10SI case, which I heard has cooling problems.), plus I got it with the black coating that is supposed to help disperse heat. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I belive it is called "double torque"
    2 quick hits with the 1/2" IR impact gun and it is good to go

6. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I belive it is called "double torque"
    2 quick hits with the 1/2" IR impact gun and it is good to go

[/ QUOTE ]

So I called powermaster and they suggested double torquing it with the impact set at 90ftlbs or so...