Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Pulley ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I am thinking about getting one of the combo pulleys from Kilby Ent. They now make an overdrive pulley that spins your alt and compressor at a faster speed while the engine is idling. Question is I do not have a serp system but my alt has a serp style pulley as it is dark outside and I am lazy does anyone know if the pulley is the same as a serp set up and if it is does it use a 6 or 8 rib belt. It is on a 1987 350.

Ira

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1987 used v belts on all accessories with the exception of the alternator which used a serp belt but no self tensioner, it was still old school style where you need to adjust the belt still.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya but is it the same style pulley? I guess my question is can I buy the kilby pulley and still use my existing belt.

Ira

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty unlikely what they are selling is for the "semi serpentine" setup like you've got. I've got the same off of a 1985 Monte Carlo, I haven't seen much for those belts. IIRC they are the narrower of the two ribbed belts. They are just not very common comparatively.

FWIW I bought an overdrive pulley for the previous V-belt alternator I ran, it didn't make much difference. Of course, replacing the voltage regulator solved the problem, I now get right about 14V at idle.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Kilby sells 2 different pulleys they have a 6 rib serp pulley and an 8 rib pulley. I guess I will check mine when I get home today unless anyone else has any ideas. If I could only dump the AC this would not be an issue. :doah:

Ira