Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator putting out 14.6-8 but guage reads just under red?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by woodpecker, Nov 17, 2000.

1. woodpecker

woodpecker Registered Member

Up here in the northern states (WA) the weather's turned cold, and with the day-long frost, I've noticed another new development. My dash gauge (volts) shows almost red (+18 section), but when I test the alternator at the battery terminals, it's putting out only the normal 14.55-14.8. I had it tested at Schuck's and their tester showed normal operation as well. The gauge seems to come back down to normal after a while on the freeway. Does the cold affect these gauges that badly?

Also, where the hell's the regulator on an '86/305? I have a chev internally regulated unit in an old '59 Ford, but when I went to the parts store, they said that the '86 k5 uses an externally regulated alternator. I looked all over for the crazy little piece the guy showed me, but couldn't find it. Any ideas?

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    My guage reads real hi after I rebuilt the alternator. It reads about 15 which is almost in the red for me. (78) The number in the middle is 13. It may just be the way your guage is set up. If you want to find your voltage regulator... Take your alternator apart. (It is inside) You cant replace it unless you take apart the alternator. Kind of stupid eh? Get your alternator checked again at a parts store. They do it for free.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I had that problem on my 78 Jimmy... Was a bad ground wire, actually i was lacking one... Messed up all my guages...
    Check your grounds... should have one from negative on battery to frame and on e seperate to chasses...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The 66 amp in my 86 did that along with dropping down to 12 when at an idle. These are signs that it is ready to go. I left the lights on one evening and when I got it jumped it finally blew. I replaced it with a 100 amp unit from Murry's for 69.00 and all the problems dissapeared. I also found that the bottom bolt had come loose a bit and was not providing a very good ground. So I ran a ground wire from the alternator to the battery. no more problem.