Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Nov 3, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I've got a question about the alternator on a '88 full size Chevy truck (not my Blazer). It's making a lot of noise, and I'm wondering, when an alternator goes out, are there any warning signs? Or do they just go out? I suspect it might be the bearings, it has a loose pulley type noise. I haven't tested it yet, either by disconnecting the battery while it's running or by removing it and having it bench tested. What about a rebuild kit? Would they sell just the bearings? BTW I replaced the serpentine belt two weeks ago, everything seemed fine. I didn't over-tighten it, it might actually be a little loose as the adjuster pulley maxed out a little too early. Thanks!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I believe they start to make noise when they are going out. The two I have replaced both did.

I don't know how much it is for your ride, but for mine it was like $39.99 or something for a rebuilt with Lifetime Warranty at Autozone.

Yes I know, Autozone Rebuilt, but it only takes me about 7 minutes to change it. If I only change it once every 4 years that is fine with me.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've been screwed too many times to buy any rebuilt alternators any more.
    If Autozone can sell one for $39 just think how little the guy doing the rebuild is getting paid.
    Most Auto parts places here sell rebuild kits. They are half the price of a rebuild and you can do it yourself. The kits I've bought all came with every part that could possibly fail on an alternator, including bearings. The instructions were very detailed. I had never even had one apart before and I didn't have any problems at all. The only hard part was a little bit of soldering. But I took my time and the one I rebuilt has already outlasted the 3 rebuilds we went through before.
    The last rebuild we bought (these were all on my wifes Mustang) there was a spade type of connector that was busted off and whoever rebuilt it just soldered the wire on the male spade terminal it was supposed to go on. Worst of all he did a lousy job soldering it and thats why that alternator failed. Theres something to be said for doing it yourself, at least you know who to talk to about warranty![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I called around and Napa sells just the bearings. I think I'm going to just get the bearings as the rest of the alternator seems to be working fine. Thanks. [​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Left the lights on one night and had to get it jumped when I got off stage, not sure what happened but it took out the alternator, smoked it..damn did it smell bad! So I replaced the measley 66 amp with a 100 amp rebuilt lifetime warranty from Murray's and it has performed flawlessly for over a year now. Nice thing is the lights no longer dim when I turn the stereo on or the driving lights...

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Was told just last week that the alternator in the 88 was not servicable.

I have 180,000mi. on mine and I guess it could go at any time.

Are they rebuildable or not?

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard, there is no rebuild kit available for the 88 alternators, but you can replace the bearings, which is usually what goes on them. I have a 120 amp one from an ex-cop car, that I have to replace the bearings in. It was $20 for the bearings.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

8. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hey eagle, how much was the 100a alt.?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The one I got from Murray's happened to be the cheapest one I could fine...it was 69.95...and the guy showed me the difference for those that want to look around the bine yards. If you look at the back of the alternator, in the "windows" you will see a set of fins that he doides are set in. If the fins run straight up and down it is the 66 amp version, most came with stock. But if the fins are slanted it is the 100 amp version. Wish I had known that prior to buying the new one. I would imagine the yards have many of them laying about as all the newer trucks come with the 100 amp style. Good luck!