Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Jun 21, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

when i run my a/c, my truck idles down, like a low battery...the interior lights get dim until i give it gas, what can be done about this? i have a stock replacement alternator in it...like 60 something amp (which is prolly too small) but would the alternator cause this by being to small? i go through a good bit of batteries (thank god for walmart replacment) but i jus dont know....help please

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

First thing I would do is run a heavy gauge wire from your alternator output post to the battery. If it goes to the starter change it to the battery. By heavy gauge I mean 8 gauge or bigger. Secondly I would start checking all your grounds connections. Clean up as required. I mean all of them. Like headlights to core support. Ground cable to alt. bracket or where ever you may have your ground cable. hooked. Fact if you want to bump up your starting juice run the ground cable from the battery to the bolt that holds the starter to the block. Just bolt it right on. I've had better luck grounding the system right there. That's a good place to start. Other than that I would say do a visual inspection on all the wiring you can see and check all connections.

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Install an A.C. speedup solenoid, as GM installed an almost every 70's, vehicle. When the AC is turned on, it pull's the engine down, the solenoid speed's it back up to a normal idle speed.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah if its carbureted engien then you would have or did from factory have am idle stop solenoid mounted on pass side of the carb, two phillips screws.

good luck ! :P