Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Aug 13, 2005.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

When I bought a 6.2 engine from ~87-89 truck (1 ton) i got an alternator with it. I was wondering if there is some way to know how many Amp it would make. I know many of those Delco Remy where close to 63 amp, and its probably something like that. Is there some way to figure it out?

Thanks, Jon H.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its stamped on the case...

The amperage rating is stamped into the case of the altenator--usually on the area behind the belt adjustment bolt on later models,or on the case itself(you might have to remove it to see them,and clean any sludge off)..there will be a delco part # there also...most diesels I see in boneyards had the 63 amp altenator as standard equipment..guess GM thought that was adequate to keep both batteries charged,and run any accessories... :crazy:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As an FYI, many of the rebuilt alternators I've seen don't have those stampings in them. Not sure how they get rid of them, no evidence of grinding, but I've seen enough to believe that some rebuilders somehow remove them intentionally.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--I've seen "unmarked" ones too!

Your right,I've noticed some had no numbers stamped in them myself!..I figured it was due to salt corrosion,or perhaps they sand or wire brush the cases to remove them(or maybe they are cheap generic "china "cases!?)...most original altenators always have the numbers stamped in them from the factory,I think its the rebuilders who "erase" them,so they wont cause confusion later,if someone goes by a number on a rebuilt,and the number jives with a 1975 altenator,and its on an 86 truck,I can see how it could be misleading..also the amp rating might not jive with the "guts" they installed,so I can see why they "erase" the OEM numbers from them....

5. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I did not see any numbers stamped on it. I will have to take a closer look tomorow.

6. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I did look for numbers but the only number I can find is:

12 0

I guess the 12 is for 12V. Does those numbers tell you anything?

I also have a 108A alternator and the case on that one is much bigger.