Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Question..........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86jimbo, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

What is the difference in the alternator with the black plastic cover on the rear, and the one without? I just swapped in my vortec 350, and the alternator doesnt want to keep up with all my electrical stuff (I have dual fans pulling about 40A alone).
    The alternator I have is a 105 with the black plastic and the one I want is a 145, but it doesnt have the cover. Will it work in my application?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If the mounting holes are in the same positions, and as long as the plug on the back is the same it should work. If the plug is not the same, just get the correct plug and make sure you hook the wires up to the same pins. The pins are labled with letters (I can't remember which ones) so just hook the wires up to the new alt. at the same letters that your old one used. I hope this isn't too confusing. I have used 120A in place of a 105, and a 105 in place of a 78A without any probs.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think from what you're describing you have a 1 wire alternator and there is a black plug over where the wire plug would go into the alternator. Is there only a red wire on the lug on the back of the alternator?

4. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

I found it out. The alt did work after changing the plug. It is a 1 wire hot, but it has a resistance wire that plugs in the side. I just cut the wire and wired it to my new plug.. thanks for your help!

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

glad to hear it worked out for you