Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, May 25, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

72 blazer with a 350. how many amps does the stock alt. put out? my went to crap the other day and i'm not sure if i want to rebuild it, or get a new one. they have a 60 amp at autozone for around 30 bucks, but i don't want to go back with one that doesn't have as much power as the stock one. thanks

hailey

2. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

63 Amps, very underpowered if you have added anything like an aftermarket ignition, lights, winch, stereo etc..., you would be better off upgrading it with one more powerful IMHO

3. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I think the first generations with there external voltage regulators were rated for 40 amps stock. Going to a 60 amp would be a improvment over that for sure if no major accesories were added. But, the factory amp gauge is only rated for a 40 amp Altenator so a 60 might just bake it and catch fire under the dash. Also the charging circut should be upgraded to handle the extra load. You can swap in a newer style interaly regulated unit and ditch the voltage regulator while you are at it. I do not remember the way to wire the thing up.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

If you run a 1 wire alternator you simply hook up the power wire to the terminal at the back of the alt and that is all.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

standard equop generator was 37 amps, you are lucky if you have anything more, check oyur options sheet for generator code, if there is one then it will say if its got more than 37, you can easily convert to internally regulated alternator, GM listings still called alternators generators through at least 72 for some unknown reason even thoguh 65 was first year for alternators

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I would remove the old externally regulated alternator, and replace it with a single wire Delco 10SI, cut off all wires from regulator, except the main power lead, tape up all other's very good, and remove the regulator and toss it too.

The alternator I had built was in the 80 amp range, and the factory volt meter/wiring will handle it easily. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif