Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grunt11b40x, Oct 28, 2003.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

my alternator squeels like a pig, I have tried 3 different ones and get the same results. I have tried different aftermarket brackets and it's lined up. one person has told me that I may have a electrical problem that causes the voltage regulator in the alt to squeel? has anyone ever heard of this? or had the same problem? the alt not keeping the battery charged it only pushing around 11 volts and once for about 5 min the squeeling stopped and the volts jumped to 14. I am at a loss and have blown too much money in brackets and alts? help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Silly question but here goes....
    You have replaced the V-belt right? And made sure it was tight enough?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sqeeling would be a loose belt. Get a new belt and make sure it's tight.

4. grunt11b40x

I have changed belts and it is tight. I don't know whatelse to do

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

exactly what i was thinking.buy a new belt and make sure it is tight.are you also having cooling problems?the belt also runs your water pump.

6. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Here's a simple test to do. Disconnect all the wires to the alternator and start the engine. Does it still make the noise? if not, then hook up the alternator and repeat. If it squeals, then it could be wiring.

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

1. How's your battery holding up?

2. Is your truck starting up OK or do you have to crank it along time?

3. Are sure you got the right size belt? My truck had a skinny belt on it when I bought it. Chased my tail for a week wondering why voltage kept fluctuating. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. grunt11b40x

the batt is fine for about a week then i have to put it on the charger. after all the chasing around for the problem i think i will replace the water pump and alt one more time and see what happens. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i wasnt saying you needed to replace the water pump.just make sure that the belt is tight enough or you will have cooling problems also.as well as the alternator not putting out enough voltage.a slipping belt will cause the belt to wear out faster also.i had a hell of a time finding the right length belt for mine.when you check for tightness on the belt you should only be able to push the belt down about an inch at the top and it should have good tention.i have to use a tie rod puller in between my engine block and alternator to get it tight enough.