Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator - same as on gas engines?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2Blazer, Jan 8, 2002.

1. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to look into a high output alternator to replace the factory original one on my '90 with the 6.2. The question is, do the diesels use the same alternator as the gas engines.....or are they at least interchangeable???

I haven't had a chance to compare the alternators themselves or check part numbers, just though I'd get a head start from this board.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

[http]://www.alternatorparts.com/index.html damn clicky thing!

My '89 uses the older style 12SI altenator. The gas versions already started using the CS series in '86?.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty ignorant about alternator styles. What do you look for to determine what style it is, connectors/housing???.

Also, does this mean that the older gas engines used the 12SI alternator. If so, then I could just get an alternator for that application and bolt it on, right??

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

So am I. Honestly, go to the A1 altenator web site and by looking at the pictures you should be able to ID what you got. Yes, if it is the older SI style you should be able to find one off an older gas motor. If it is the later style CS version you can do the "Iceberg" upgrade conversion!

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I checked out the site and will take a closer look at the alternator in my '90. Have you bought an alternator from this company? The price for the 140 amp version looks fairly good compared to some others I have priced.

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yup, 'got the 140Amp version myself, after the OE one had a broken mounting ear. So far so good, I'v only had it about six months. I do have some other charging "issues": side post batteries (bad design), cables that should be upgraded, voltmeter that sometimes reads low (battery still getting 14.4V). I'm getting ready to move the batteries to the rear, replace the cables with 00 size, and bring power to a firewall busbar.