Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator upgrade

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Roostr84, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I have to replace my alternator and was wondering if anybody upgraded to a better one like an CS model?

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Roostr84 on 09/20/01 09:12 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I looked in the yellow pages under Autoelectric and found a local shop that could assemble a 120amp alt that is a stock body or mounting. I think I paid 100 bucks like 5yrs ago and it's still running. TMake sure to ask for all the heavy duty bearings and coolong fan/pully.
    Good Luck
    PS never buy a chrome one, chrome reatins heat and heat kills altinators!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am interested in this too. I would like to upgrade to a newer style that puts out more amps. I woulden't mind changing the mounting I just want something that I will be able to get anywhere.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I would go with a one wire alt. That way you do away with the regulator. I bought a 120 AMP Alt the day before i went to Hot August Night's. It cost me $60.00 and gave him my old one. This was the best thing i did to my Blazer with my TBI,and my elect,Dash,and Fan. 1 FN HI K5

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I did the 1 wire swap 1 month ago.EEE-Z. I removed all wiring i'm now not useing but it could as easily be taped up fastened out of the way.All gauges work like they are supposed to and the 140 amp puts out enough juice to power a D/C welder!I I got it from Summit racing for I think $90.00.I'd say go for a 1 wire conversion.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

I too have a 1 wire. Awesome!! I actually did mine because I had a short somewhere that was causing my altenators and voltage regulators to fry out. Been running with this one over a year, not one problem (knock on wood!). Replaces the stock altenator, no modifications, etc. purchased through shop, local vendor.

If it ain't broke, break it!