Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator wiring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Oct 19, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

OK, a friend of mine just gave me a 150 amp powerline alternator. (NICE HUH!!! Thanks Rob) Anyway, three wires, One is power out put and one is field exciter, Don't know what the third is. On your factory Chevy wiring I have a plug with two wires in it that I will have to remove and do not know which wire is field and the other. Any body know?

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

TTT anybody?

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well, according to my wiring diagrams, the red wire on the back is for the battery. The brown wire in the connector goes to the light in the inst. cluster, and the white wire goes to the same splice point that the red wire goes to.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

OK, you have the charge wire which comes out the back of the case and goes to the battery. Next is the wire which needs to carry battery voltage to tell the alternator how much to charch..it goes on the blade terminal on the left (if you are facing the pulley side). The remaining terminal is for your dummy light/ volmeter (it is not necessary for proper operation).

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I was doing some grave digging hear

I am looking to get a electric feed for a electric fan I got the control set up but I need a feed the 3 wire ault should I feed it from the back post or the top red wire??
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

I would feed all accessories off of a battery not directly off the alt. You can also get power distribution blocks for multiple Acc.connections that connect right to the battery. Check around at places that install stereos for them.
    Just my .02