Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bherring, Apr 25, 2002.

1. bherring

bherring Registered Member

My new electrical system only consists of:

1) Universal ignition switch
    2) Alternator with Stator wire, Field wire, and Hot wire from the back
    3) Starter with Hot post and Start post

I'm having trouble wiring it so it will charge the battery. I thought the FIELD wire went with the other HOT wire to the battery and the STATOR wire (to excite the alternator to begin charging) went to the momentary start switch with the START wire from the starter. I know that's confusing but let me know if you're good with this stuff.

Thanks - Beck.

2. Jay73K20

Jay73K20 Registered Member

I wired my stator to the ingnition position. I don't think a momentary 12vdc would be enough to excite it when the engine isn't spinning the altenator fast enough to charge. For fun you should connect it to a seperate momentary switch and push it when the engine is idling and see if it will charge.

3. bherring

bherring Registered Member

So the STATOR wire goes to ignition (run) and the FIELD wire goes to the battery with other HOT wire from the back. We shall see. Any experiece with self-exciting, one-wire alternators?

-Beck.

4. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

Alternator will only charge when you have voltage on the excite circuit, it should have power at all times engine is running.Think of it as a switch or relay, alternator will charge when this cicuit is on.This power should come from fused iginition source, like power source for iginition coil. Single wire alternators have a self exciting circuit added into alternator. I'm not sure I would want to run some of the high output single wires, I have seen some that had a warning that at idle output was lower than stock, higher amperage capacity could only be used at higher rpm 's. Not much good on some trails.