Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Woes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ditusar, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Ditusar

Ditusar Newbie

OK, I need some help here, after the 3" BL was installed (taking care not to stretch any harnesses!), my truck won't charge a battery. I checked all grounds numerous times, engine to frame, engine to body, body to frame, neg post to alternator, etc. and they all appear good.

The truck actually damages "known good" alternators! [​IMG] I would think that if there is enough of a short or crossed connection to permanently damage an alternator, I should be able to see this in the form of sparks, smoke, blown fuses, etc., but I haven't.

I'm really at my wit's end! The truck has been sitting now for over a year!! [​IMG]

Any Tips, Hints, or Suggestions??

TIA

79 K5 Blazer, 400SB, TH350
    4" + 3" lift, 35" Ground Hawgs
    75000 Original Miles

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Starting checking at the power feed from the alternator. It runs down over the passenger side of the engine, at the rear, to the starter. It bolts to the battery stud on the starter solenoid. Disconnect the power and start ohming out the wiring to determine where the short is located.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. Ditusar

Ditusar Newbie

Thanks, I'll doublecheck those wires. I have already replaced the battery to solenoid wire, but have been thinking about dropping the starter to have a look.

BTW, where might my fusible link(s) be??

Thanks

Rob

79 K5 Blazer, 400SB, TH350
    4" + 3" lift, 35" Ground Hawgs
    75000 Original Miles

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I always check all the connections 1st. Not so much that they are in the right place, but look to see that they are making good connections. A little bit of resistance can sure drop your voltage down when your messing with 12 volts. Make sure that you clean them all! I hope you find your problem. GOPHERKILLER

5. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Did your body lift involve spacers which could insulate it from the frame? Did you ohm out between ground points? Sounds like a difference of potential between some of your grounding points.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer