Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reecem, Nov 30, 2005.

1. reecem

reecem Registered Member

I have a 1971 Blazer with a 1987 Short Block. All acc appear to be of 1971 vintage but serveral things were slapped together from the previous owner and I am trying to clean things up.

Yesterday my charging system failed and I found something really wierd. The external regulator has pins 3 & 4 cut off! This to me means that the feedback of the regulator does not work but the truck has been running for 6 months so I am not sure what is going on.

I dont really want to hook up the external reg, & get a new alternator if I dont have to, what I would like to do is hookup an internally regulated alternator and cut everything else out.

Does anyone know how? Or have wire diagram.

Thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be..

Someone might have already ditched the original alternator that used the old external regulator,and put in a later internally regulated one..a few trucks like yours I saw in boneyards had that done,and by using 2 of the 4 connections on the old regulator is a way to "cheat" and use the original wires,rather than run a new one from the key..

I'd upgrade to the internally regulated 73-87 style altenator if one isn't already in it..its not hard to do,its a bolt in deal,and only 2 wires to mess with.. :crazy: