Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eightyone, May 9, 2004.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i got a question about alternators, i just bought an 81 blazer that i owned about a year ago, and the kid who bought it from me burnt all the wiring, im not to concerned about lights and what not, i hooked up a push button ignition, and a kill swithc tot he coil, i am wondering what to do about the alternator, there is 2 wires coming out of a clip that i dont knwo were they go, and theres the one that goes to the batery and a ground, were do those other 2 go? also i am thinking about getting one of those high amp 1 wire jobies, anyone know an info on them? sorry this is so long, but i cant stand doing wiring, especially if its not gunna be right, thanks for your time. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

there should be a heavy guage wire that goes from the fuse block to the HOT post on the back of the alternater to supply power back and forth to and from the alt and battery,
    the other two, one should be hot all the time As I remember thats the stator, and the other one is hot only with the key in the ON position, thats the regulator, this description only applies to two wire old style alternators good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, but since im not runnin a key, just a push button starter and a kill switch tot he coil, what would i do with the wire going tot he fuse block and the one that is only hot went he key is on, can i just not run them? and just run the wire from the back of the alternator to the battery?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

doas anyone at least knwo were to find this information??? im at a stand still untill i figure this out, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I highly recomend getting a replacement wire harness.

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

7. unclematty

kwik get this guy a new harness anything else is going to cause him grief /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif probably your best bet the alternator is not really complicated but it has to work the way I said.lets break this down again. forget about thatpushbutton ignition. key on power to the regulator, constant power to the stator, and heavy guage wire from the fuse block (key on only) to the post on the back of the alternator only way it can work

8. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

thanks for doing that search, that is precisley wehat i needed to know. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The main alternator hot terminal can be connected to the starter solenoid battery terminal. The other hot terminal can be connected to your manual push button switch, but this wire is not absolutely necessary because all this wire does (I think, it has been a long time) is override the alternators voltage regulator only during the few seconds the vehicle is being started so that the ignition system will provide a very hot spark to start the engine. The third wire is probably for the dashboard battery dummy light, or a voltmeter if you have a full gauge package vehicle. Any Chilton's or Haynes repair manual will have wiring diagrams in the back of it.

10. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

so i will hook the wire int he back straight to my distributuin block, and can i hook the other two together with a voltmeter inbetween /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif or will that just cause a fire, im not quite sure how to run one of those gages, im probally better off leaving that clip out of the alternantor right /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. unclematty

just had a quck and easy fix; run to a diy yard and pull a harness from another truck similar to yours, cheap and easy + you get what you want /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i thnak you for your concern unclematty, i will in fact have a full new wiring harness when the time comes, but my problem is that my truck is at a friends shop, and it needs to be moved back to my house in a few days, i drove the truck there running with no alternator and i went thrue 2 bateries, i was hoping to run the alternator for the ride back home since one of those bateries wasnt mine...i am planning on driving durning the day being folowed by a friend, so i wouldnt need any lights, thanks again for trying to make me do it the right way like a real uncle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif