Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Drey, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

How do you guys get your alternator belt tight. Everytime I go to tighten it down, the alternator sucks back towards the motor and loosens the belt. Also my top adjustment bolt is starting to strip out, has anyone one just put a bolt all the way through the hole and a nut on the other side. If so does it work as slick as it seems it would.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You mean the non serpentine setup? I usually use a crow bar. angle it between the alt and the bracket. Then, just tighten it down. Sometimes it easier to tighten it a bit, then use the crow bar to move it into place, then crank it down.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yes none serpintine setup. How much is required to go to serpintine? I would definatly love that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And ive got all winter to switch out pulleys.

4. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

On my Alternator bracket there is about a one inch hole that I stick the pry bar down, and pry on the drivers side of the alternator,and if you get it just right it doesnt take much pressure to tighten it. I was also told that you want the belt tight to enough so that you could put a wrench on the alternator nut(the one the holds the pulley) and you should be able to turn the motor over by having the belt turn the other pulleys. He said on a gas motor it should, but with the diesel it may not. But you get the idea. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Grab a doaner 6.5 or 92+ 6.2 setup. That would be the easiest way. I hear the pump rotation is reversed.