Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Nov 7, 2005.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

Hey im planning on buy a new alternator cause my current one just isn't doing it for me. Its going onto a 1984 blazer with a 305. I was wondering how many amps i should get, and where i would be able to buy one for a good price. thanxs

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I must say out of all the alternators I have had, my AC delco alternator has been the best. They do cost more than an auto zone or Napa alternator, but is totally worth it IMO. The amperage all depends on what you have for accessories. Generally a truck with power everything and AC will have about 60 amps.

3. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

i just put one in my blazer 140 amps from summit for $170.00. i think its probably over kill but more is better in most cases. the volt meter never drops below 13 volts now. the light arn't any brighter but at least when i do the winch install i'll be able to charge the batt back up faster. I think?

4. Cornfield creations

I ran a higher amp alternator to power my sound system in my k-5 I believe a 94 amp. I kept on burning up the fuseable link on my firewall. In addition, the first time it didn't burn off fast enough, it fried my factory tach and my cb :doah: . I got the tach repaired, and inline fused it, and it burnt it again. I swapped out the alt. for the same one just thinking the regulator went out, nope, it was because of the higher amps I was running, I put a stock alt. back in and never had the problem after that. Not sure if thats the case every time but it was in my case, so I'll stick to my 60 amp alt.

5. sunnyc123abc

How much did it cost you for the ac delco, and how many amps.

6. Cornfield creations

I paid about $80 for it with my discount. Its a 60 amp since my blazer has all power accessories and AC.
    I the best one napa had, their Gold line I guess they're called?
    Everytime I stopped at stoplights my volts gauge would go down to about 8 and the lights would dim really bad and the cd player would kick on and off. I finally took that alt out and put the AC delco in with an Optima red top battery and I have not had a single problem since. I was going through about 3 batteries a year (Deka 1000). Deka makes good batteries don't get me wrong, it's just that they tried to stuff too much power in a small battery and came up with junk. Good thing I had a 5 year warrenty! :D

7. sunnyc123abc

i was thinking of buying a bosch 107 amp alternator from pepboys for 79 bucks. Do you think thats a good price?