Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, May 13, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

This weekend while I was out toolin' around I noticed that my volt gauge was only readind 8-10 volts. So I turned off the heater and radio and after a minute or two it had slowly made its way back up to around 13 volts. I noticed that my heater and turn signals take a heavy draw, is this normal? So what do you guys think is my alternator going bad maybe? Is there anyway to check for sure? Thanks.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Sure sounds that way, but the built in volt meter aint exactly that accurate.

Your alternator should put out around 13.6 V when at idle and possibly as high as 14.5 (around, someone please correct me if Im wrong).

When you turn on the heater, the heater itself doesnt draw any electricity, its just the blower fan that does.

its common for the volt meter to tick a little bit when the blinker ticks, but massive drops like your talking about indicate an alternator on its way out.

You should probably take it to the autoparts store to get it tested, before it ruins your battery too.