Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Oct 6, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK, I'm still working on putting in my new 140 amp alternator. My question is, I have a bundle of wires coming from on top of my intake manifold to the alt. and starter. 3 of those wires go to the starter and the other 3 go to the alternator. 2 of the ones for the alternator are in a clip that goes on the top. The other one is the big connection on the back. Instead of using that wire, couldn't I just run another cable from my battery over to it? Like the "one wire" alternators do. Wouldn't that be better than using the little 10 gauge wire it has now?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your 140amp alternator, I need one.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

3. That should be alright,if I remeber corectly it just goes to the power dist. block on the fire wall.
    Caprice police cars are the best places to find them.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

YES, that is exsactlly what I did! I am running a 120amp on mine and I also have the two wires fer the plug and I didNOT use the stock wire fer the output. I used 8 or 10 can't remember but just routed it straight to the positive of my main battery.
    I had my alt custom built at an autoelectric shop and the dude that built it told me to use a larger gage wire straight to the positive side. It has worked like a champ! I have dual Optimas and a Hellroaring iso/combiner.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status