Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator ???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Is there someplace online where I can buy just the parts for more output? Also, it sounds like the bearing is going north on me, is that too much /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif to replace on it's own, or should I be prepared for death, destruction and mayhem on the inside? Thank you and Merry Christmas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Do you have any local shop that rebuilds starters and alternators ??? The front bearing is easy to change, but the rear one has to be pressed in. My first job was rebuilding alternators and starters. We would sell parts to up the output to anyone who wanted them, and we'd sell them cheaper then any "kit" you could buy in a catolog.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can buy stock rebuild kits for $15, which includes the *front* bearing (not the rear) the brushes, diode trio, and voltage regulator.

The rear bearing has almost no load on it (since the pulley is on the front) but if you want to replace it, I think they are around $5.

Alternator is really easy to rebuild, but you have to be careful pressing the bearings out/in. I did it with sockets and a hammer, and it *really* isn't that tough even compared to pressing other types of bearings/bushings, but if you aren't careful, you can crack the case pretty easy.

Not to turn you away from doing it yourself, it's just one of those rebuilds that doesn't allow the "more force" type of rebuilding, and you have to remember that when doing the bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Checkout ebay, there is a guy that has rebuilt/rewound alts for blazers that pull 60 amp idel and 120-130 max. Listed at 59.99 but it now with 15 shipping. I got mine it was assembled turned 90deg (accedent I'm guessing), I pulled it apart and rotated it and it went right in. Pulls a little over the 13volt mark running down the highway with all the lights and amp running!
    I dont see any listed now, its always listed at 59.99 (the 79.99 is a different guy).
    good luck, J
    you have to email after the auction and tell them the OLD style 64amp alt with which pulley (I didn't do that I just told him an 87 Blazer and I got the newer style shown in the pic, very cool about replacing it though). I have the old in my truck and I bought another new style for dads pickup and both are running great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I used to rebuild alternators and starters myself, but this year I was buying the parts to rebuild an alternator, and I checked how much a reman was, and I decided at $39 for a stock reman not rebuilt, meaning all the internals are new, versus 25 for the parts that I needed plus me doing the work, I went with a remanufactured one and got a spare too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    ALso those 120-130 amp mentionned in this thread are alos a good deal.
    Don't waste your time if you are looking for a good deal. If you are doing it to learn then go ahead, that's what I do, I like to do everything myself at least once, then I start looking for the better deals.

7. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

or you can go to your favorite parts store and order up an alternator for a 1984 camaro with a 305G (HO) engine, and you will get a 94 amp 12si unit that will bolt right up w/o any modifications. They run 59.99 + $30 core at Autocrap. I used my old 10si as the core...they didn't know any better.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You can also ask for the 105 amp safari/astro van.
    Some come with a serpentine pulley so you might need to replace it with yours.
    The 86 would come with a V belt.
    For 59.99 I thik they are the best buy, especially with the lifetime waranty.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got a 95 Amp for a heavy duty truck but that guy on ebay looks like the best deal.

11. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

How do you test an alternator to see if it's really putting out the rated amps ?

Dan....

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I put a single wire in mine. I think it was like a 120 amp. I really like it. soon there will be two in there.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You need to go to a shop and have it done.
    They will hook it up to a VAT-40 (or a not so old modle) and put a load on it.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The way alternators *usually* show failure is with a drop in voltage to the system no matter where you measure, (so easy to test for decreased output) but a normal multimeter won't be able to test the alternator amp's.