Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternators....1 wire? 3 wire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

So I'm trying to figure out which of the Power Master 140 amp alternators to go with for my truggy.

It'll be set up with dual Optima's on the Hell Roaring dual battery kit for the winch, lights etc. Do I need/want a 1 wire or 3 wire? Whats the difference? Can someone explain the differences between the different cases? GM 10si, GM CS130, GM CS130D etc? Which case do I have? On the Summit website theres about 20 different Powermaster GM 140amp alternators....Which one do I want? This is the one I think I want-
    http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp
    Will this thing bolt up to my brackets?

I'm totally ignorant as far as alternators and electrical stuff goes, so pardon all the questions. I've been researching and reading about this stuff so much my head hurts. Getting the truck ready for Blazer Fest next month, but mostly for Blazer Bash in Moab. I'll be damned if an alternator or some other stupid component ruins my fun when I'm 900 miles from home. :)

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just researched this about a week ago and came up with the facts that a one wire works but not very well except in light duty applications. The three wire senses the load at the firewall junction which works alot better. I did a search for one wire alternators on Goggle and read for over an hour about the difference.

3. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

Here's some good information on the differences between the 1 wire and 3 wire alternators

Dave

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

IME, the one wire alt's don't 'light off' at low RPM's, so low engine speed charging can be a problem. I guess the solution would be to speed up the alt's stator, sort of the opposite of what the drag guys are doing with their under drive pulleys.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Wow, thanks for the link to the MAD site. Lot's of easy to understand stuff there. Learned alot. :)