Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

altitude sickness?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dubl_t, Jul 15, 2002.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the hell is going on, but let me try to explain it. First off, my truck's a '80 Bourbon 3/4t 4x4 350ci, T-400, np205, 4.10's, 33" tires, new/rebuilt: tranny, carb (Q-jet), fuel pump, distributor w/coil (HEI), plugs cap rotor, waterpump, alternator, recent (40k) factory rebuild, all filters, timing set @ 7-8 btdc. Now, when accelerating, the engine bogs like running out of gas. Also, went from 1k' to 4-5k' and truck is absolutely gutless (25-30mph up hill)!! And when flooring it, you'd think I was beating the bugeebees out of it. At first I thought about ignition advance: maybe not enough? Then what about carb settings: the guy who rebuilt really is top notch, but leaning out the choke seemed to help alittle. What about a short to the distributor? Already had a problem with the cheesy ground strap inside. I don't know, any help would be greatly appreciated. What about a good analizer in the Portland, Or. area?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, went from 1k' to 4-5k' and truck is absolutely gutless (25-30mph up hill)!! And when flooring it, you'd think I was beating the bugeebees out of it

[/ QUOTE ] It was timing on mine, too retarded at altitude. I'd had some work done on it, and when they put the distributor back on it was one tooth off, and ran like you described. Fixed the distributor and advanced the timing a bit and it ran fine.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

OK, now I know where you're at..........Portland. Give the guys at NW Performance on 11th and SE Division a call. They did my carb (back when I had a carb) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif and it ran absolutely perfect for 4 years (when I then did the TPI conversion). /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Sounds like it might not be carb, might be fuel pump/fuel filter/electrical tho, but those guys can figure it out. Other than them, I know and trust a couple of other shops. Let me know where in Portland you are.

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Thanks Blazzin, I kinda had a hunch about those guys (always got cool cars around). And Skigirl, would the truck even run being a tooth off on the distributor? Thanks again.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

LOL! It gave POS a whole new meaning. Ran faster downhill, backfiring all the way. Too bad there was only a mile or 2 of downhill for the 750 miles I drove it like that. As you can tell, I really wanted to get away from where I was. Drove it most of a night and half the next day before I got where I was going /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif .