Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alum. intake question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I installed an alum. weland high rise intake on my 350 today.
    as I was removing the old one it was still full of radiator fluid,I tryed not to spill any but a bunch ended up going down the whole where the distrubuter goes,I finished everything tonight and checked the oil,now its brown. I think water is in my oil now. I havent started the truck up in fear I might blow it. should I just change the oil?

hopefully i can get this fixed by tonight,i have to drive to work in the morning.

thanks guys, MJ

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Absolutely change it. If any antifreeze got into the motor it went RIGHT into the oil. Maybe even pour tiny bit of oil down the hole to try and flush it a little.

Is this a stock 350? If so why the high rise? Really not a great idea for power production.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Definately change your oil! Then take it out for a long drive and get the engine good and hot. That will burn off any remaining moisture in the crankcase.:waytogo:

4. MUD JUNKIE

its not stock,but Im planning on more mods when i get the cash.
    its got the high rise intake,holley 750,headers, accel wires and plugs and a good cam in it....but since Im having a brain fart I cant think of the durration.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a high antifreeze percentage in your coolant it is vital that you change the oil. Anti freeze somehow wipes the oil out of the bearings.

You COULD just pull the plug, wait for the coolant to quite flowing out and replaced by oil, and put the plug back in. IIRC oil is lighter than water meaning that if it sits for a short period of time the water should fall to the bottom of the pan underneith the oil. The coolant would run out first and as soon as it changes from coolant to oil, you should have all the coolant out. Kind of a vinegar and oil thing.

Obviously......if you need to change your oil anyway you might as well do it. If that happened with my 406 I would probably just change it anyway.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Better safeer than sorry, drain it completely and run some motor flush thru it or a few quarts of oil.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

motor flush??? whats it called... I couldn't find any around here

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oil is heavier than water, it will sit on the top. If you have ever seen anti freeze on the inside of a motor you would realize he needs to drain it through the plug and a little flushing out would be a good idea. Droplets of antifreeze love to stick to block walls and parts. And if it gets in your bearings all it has to do is replace the oil for a second and its damage is done.

I've never heard of a motor flush product but I don't doubt its out there. I just use a few quarts of 10w-30. Its a waste of oil but at the sametime its not.

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would drain the oil and filter, add some new cheapie oil and run it for a while, Then drain it and add what ever brand you run.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I second that... that got all my water(not antifreeze) out. Just didn't stop the leak so after a couple starts you could see a tiny trace of water so im letting it sit until i get money for parts gaskets and more oil.

Make sure you change the filter.... water will find it and stay there and if you don't change the filter you will never get it out.

Is it just me or is 750 waaaaay too much carb for that motor?

11. rjfguitar

I disagree. Water is heavier.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Little history lesson...if you go to Pearl Harbor to the site where the USS Arizona was sunk, you can see:

oil bubbling to the surface of the water ;)

13. rjfguitar

Thank you.... ;)

Sled dog,

Ever seen a helicopter pic of an off shore oil spill?

I just finished emptying a 55 gall oil drum that was full with 50 gallons of water and 5 of oil....I was pumping from the bottom and never hit actuall oil until the last 5 gallons. ;)

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its the density of the two that desides what is on top and motom, not weight.

but water always goes to the bottom, and oil always goes to the top. i pulled the drain plug on a friends car after the water pump went (pumped all the antifreeze into the oil[quad4]) and out came about a gallon of antifreeze then the oil.

15. rjfguitar

Maybe so but usually when something is denser than something else, it's heavier. :D

16. MUD JUNKIE

thanks for the info guys

since I posted this I havent gotten around to it but i did buy the new oil and filter. I thought about running cheap oil then replaceing it with some high mileage stuff. but I only got the high mileage oil not the cheap "engine flush oil"

thanks guys!

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've heard from alot of good mechanics that motor flush is very bad. destroyed low mileage motors.i would never use it.

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Motor Flush is just kerosene in a fancy can. It's ok to run it through but don't run the engine for more than FIVE MINUTES AT IDLE with it in there or you'll wipe out your bearings.

Warm the engine, dump in a quart of kerosene, run it for FIVE MINUTES AT IDLE and drain.

Don't drive to the store.
    Don't go have a smoke.
    Don't go kick the dog.
    Stand there with your watch and shut the engine down when the time is up.

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just doesnt make sense to me. even if you do exactly like they say, dump it out, its still coated thruout the entire motor right? when you drain the oil there is still a film on everything. so when you drain the oil and refill it, there is still trace amounts of it in there, so what keeps that stuff from getting to the bearings

20. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That's true with engine additives but it's not an additive, it's kerosene. Since it's basically just motor oil that been refined a little more, it mixes completely with the engine oil and comes completely out when you drain it. It doesn't "coat" anything. In fact, it will probably drain better, since all it basically does is thin the oil out.

There may be tiny trace amounts remaining but, again, since it's the same stuff as oil, it won't do any harm. Use a thicker oil when you refill if you want to make up for any difference.

The problem come when people try to second-guess and leave it in for too long. "Hey, I'll just dump it in right here in the parking lot and then drive home!"