Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alum Radiator in AZ

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by perp, Jul 22, 2005.

1. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of tapering the front of the K5 and I wanted a new aluminum Radiator for the truck. When I called BTF they told me 19 x 26 was the largest GM AL radiator they had. He said it would handle BBC no problem with good fans. But when I said I was in AZ, he told me "no guarantees in that weather". So does any one else run this size or similar AL radiator in AZ or some other hot state? opinions with BBC consideration please.
    also I am making a tube cure support for the front so any thing under about 45" wide should fit

This is my first new thread so any suggestions/advice on posting is appreciated

Thanks

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I tried Be cools largest aluminum radiator on my bb crew... it doesnt keep it cool and they ended up taking it back with egg on their faces 19 x 34....

someone out there has to be making a bigger one (be cool said they would for 1200.00.... I told them no.... way!!!!!"

cam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2005
  3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Drop Marv_Springer a line, he runs his big block in the fun buggy with a small alum radiator. No overheating issues.

and we live in AZ.

Rob

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Who is Marv_Springer and how do I get a hold of him? :confused:

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Click this link , then click on "send this member a private message".

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ended up running a single row aluminum S10 radiator in my narrowed and tapered truck. It's 17" total tall and 31" total wide. The core measures 15"x26". My core support is 41" wide so I could go a lot wider but I'm at my maximum height.

Summit sells a radiator for like $180 that is 19x31 (17x26) that is a dual row aluminum.

I'm not sure how well it cools. I only have a TBI305.

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

:eek1:

Marv Springer

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I decided to give a hi dollar aluminum radiator another chance... this time I called GRIFFIN
    Im building a 19 x 34 2 row with 3 1/2 inch tanks and 1 1/2 inch single pass

They use it on 600 plus horsepwoer 502's with good success... should handle my BB... but time will tell...Ill give an update after I torture test it for awhile..
    and yes it was spendy

but they built what I wanted and didnt steer me wrong like be cool did... for the same money

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Hey Perp,

[​IMG]

Here's an image of my FunBuggy. It runs a Summit Aluminum Radiator (forget the size... but it's the smaller one :eek1:) that costs under $200. I use a Taurus electric cooling fan....

This thing handles my 454 fine.... It's a pretty tame BB, but still it seems to work good.

Marv

10. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info everyone. Marv, thats a real cool buggy, i hink i saw it in forum thread about quarter el springs before. I actully went ahead and got a new copper/brass radiator (big one). i finished the rear taper and when i started the front i realized i had enough room and the price was right so i got a 4 core. look at this picture, its huge. the hammer is a fullsize framer.
    a few pics of the back of the project too, not finished yet.

misc. blazer 028.jpg

truck 001.jpg

truck 003.jpg

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status