Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alum radiators

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greg mgm, Jan 27, 2006.

1. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Its time to upgrade the radiator in my 78 GMC 454 truck. Im looking for recommendations on what company to buy from, and which rad will fit correctly. My truck originally came with a 350, so Im wondering if the factory 350 rad width is shorter than a 454 rad. Id prefer a brand spankin new aluminum rad, but Im open to suggestions as well.

2. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

I'm not sure about the dimensions...but I believe the 350's are 3 core...454'a are 4 core....not that that helps much. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken. :rolleyes:

Sorry...don't have any suggestions where to buy one...haven't replaced mine yet. But on some other vehicles I have, I've used Modines from NAPA...without any problems.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I bought a 2 core aluminum rad from Be Cool for my 350 that was supposed to be a direct replacement for fit. After 3 weeks and 3 mechanic shops couldn't make it fit I sent it back. Boiled out my 4 core, added a tranny cooler and it's done fine. Others haven't had problems with aluminum rads from other companies IIRC. I'd still like an aluminum rad just for the fun of it.