Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alum. to Steel Welding..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 10, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I guess its been done.. new to me. Today I was reading Motor Trend and looking at a Mazda add, in which one of the highlights was Alum. to steel spot welding in the body, how is this possible? anyone know?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never heard of it but I'm betting the welds don't actually penetrate into one material. Just act as little rivets.

3. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt think it would be possible but they make new discoveries every day...

My dad works for GM and he was telling me about this new procedure that they are trying out where instead of spot welding, the machine punches a hole through the two pieces of metal and then rolls them back onto themselves. Its supposed to be very strong. Maby they are using a similar procedure?

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have heard of Bi metallic welds but never anything as drastic as aluminum to steel. Interesting Idea though I would like to see more on the subject if it is indeed possible.

Ira