Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alumi - Flex Tie Rod???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgillyk5, Jul 18, 2003.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Is this hocus-pocus or could this idea really hold up? I dont see that they offer a k5 version, just for [I Love Jeeps].
    [​IMG]

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

They dont look very durable,Iv seen a few guys on the Pirate board kill those after 2 or 3 hits.Something that is designed to bend does not sound good for a steering application.If your gonna buy a tierod the Rockstomper Rockrod is your best bet.Iv had mine for close to 3 years and it has taken a beatin with only scratches to show for it.A few weeks ago I was hung up on the mini Rubicon in Hollister and had my tierod pushed all the way into my dif cover,and once I quit tryin to move a rock with it it sprang back most of the way and only has a slight bend /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

If you want a rod i'll build you one that you can't bend. It is heavy so if your wanting light weight then i can't help you but if you want bullet proof i'll build you one for whatever ends you want and put a lifetime warrenty on it.
    It will be out of 4340 (same as Warn Axle shafts) but not hardened as hard so that it will flex some.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

4340 round stock?What does it get hardened to?
    What kind off $$$ are we talking for that tierod Matt?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    4340 round stock?What does it get hardened to?
    What kind off $$$ are we talking for that tierod Matt?

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Mine would be for a D60 application. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yes... it IS hocus-pocus... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

My brother bent his up on his TJ on the 2nd wheeling trip. Bent to the point where it wouldn't "spring" back /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.... If it was made of steel, we maybe could've "bent it back", but since it was alum...., when we tried to bend it straight - it just sprung back to the "U" shape /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

Marv