Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aluminum body parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rdn2blazer, Sep 19, 2005.

1. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

how cool would it be if you could get factory body parts made out of aluminum. wouldn't shatter like fiberglass, you could probably pound out a dent in it wasn't too bad, and would be really light. probably be expensive though......just a thought.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Or some of that scrap titanium you have laying around. :D

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

would be cool for those of us who like to go fast too.

4. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Well, it's not a body part per say, but I'm making my own rear window channel out of aluminum C channel. Won't rust out like my other ones have. :D

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not much better here...

Salt eats aluminum too--we have enough on our roads here during the winter to make those P-30 step vans look like cream of wheat is growing on them,unless they are painted..!..it does dissapear much slower than iron or steel though--unless you let the two touch,then electrolisis eats the aluminum away.Like where running boards touch a steel rocker panel on a truck...like the "sacrificial anode" you put in a radiator!.. :doah:

.I have an old refigerated truck body in the backyard for a storage shed...its perfect on the sides and roof,because they are painted..but the diamond plate floor inside has a hole about 3" in diameter where every steel bolt USED to hold it down,and the rest of it looks like swiss cheese..It belonged to a company that sold lobsters-still has a big lobster painted on it with the company's name...must have been those salty lobsters that helped electrolisis eat the floor away..

Some 60's musclecars came with factory aluminum front ends!--there was a 1964 Mercury Comet "Thunderbolt" in the junkyard I worked at--sat there for ten years until the owner realized it was one of 500 made by ford for racing, when he opened the hood to see if the motor was salvagable when a customer came looking for an older ford V8 smallblock--. :eek1:
    It was trapped in behind several other cars,and was there when the owner bought the junkyard from the previous owner..so he never paid much attention to it!..he sold the whole car for 1500 bucks--it was pretty tattered except for the nose,which was aluminum..( I think the control arms were too if I remember right)..it was dented up pretty bad from being shoved around with the forkloader!--he said he'd have never did that if he'd known it was such a rare beast!..

I think John Delorean should have made a stainless steel K5,or pickup instead of a "Delorean"... :crazy: :haha: ...but then we'd have NO parts trucks!! :doah: :haha:

6. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

Luckily they don't use much salt up here, mostly sand. But if you trap moisture against a steel body panel in a bunch of sand and grit, it's gonna rust. I'm hoping that this aluminum will hold up for at least a couple of years, and it doesn't cost me much to make them, so better than $150 CAD that the stealership wanted for one.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've thought about cuttin off most of the skins on my truck below the seam and replacing it all with rivited on diamond plate aluminum....then I sold my blazer....wah!

8. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

Forget pounding out dents, just use nickel titanium memory metal. When it gets dented just heat it up and it returns to its original shape.