Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aluminum heads for 383 crate motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Jul 7, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Hey all you engine guys! Would the GM 383 crate motor be a good candidate for Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads? That would help the weight issue, wouldn't it? I'm not even sure if it can be bought as a short block or not, but I'm just thinkin way ahead of my checkbook, gettin ideas.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

AFAIK GM doesn't put out a 383 crate engine.
    Although there are a few companies that do.
    If ya got the bux fer a 383 crate then ya got it to get aluminum heads.

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

383's like heads w/ a 190 or 200+ port size... top canidates I think are Brodix track ones, Dart sportsman II's, AFR 190's or 210's, or last but not least... for a cheap and lower rpm stump puller the Vortechs. Not all of them are available in aluminium, but I think that w/ a 5500 lbs. truck worrying about weight is kinda a waste, plus if it is a daily driver I would rather have the durability of cast heads (of course I live in MN where the temp goes from -20 in the winter to 100 in the summer depending on the year).

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

G.M. -might- be putting out a 383 crate engine.
    It's been in and out of production for 3 years. I have no idea what the hold up is, but I'd sure like to see it get done.

The last info I got on it, it was putting out 400 ft/lbs of torque from something like two grand on up. If I remember right it had a stanadard bore and a 3.80 stroke, roller cam, and vortec heads. Although, that was last years catalog, and it's not in this years catalog. As far as I know, it has not made it out of the gates yet, but I hear that they are still working on it-
    so lets hope it becomes avalible. That engine would be the engine to have!

As far as heads go;
    Vortecs - Cheep, Highly turbulant (s/p?) combustion chambers (a good thing), cast iron, 1.94/1.5 valves
    TrickFlow- Also a turbulant combustion chamber, aluminium, 195 cc runners, 2.02/1.6, Does not need a "goof" intake manifold
    AFR- basicly the same as Trick Flows

Elderbrock heads are nothing more than aluminium virsions of the old 186 castings- not much of an improvement- IMO-

Twiztid

5. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Trickflows are very uneven i quality, so if you go with them make sure you get some sort of warranty. I´ve heard of valveseats falling out of place, broken valvesprings from the factory and VERY uneven castings with lots of flash. If you got the money go AFR, Dart, Brodix or better yet Canfield.

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I'd suggest you take a look at the Air Flow Research (AFR) heads, if you want to go aluminum. Like Andreas, I too have heard quite a few tales about inconsistent quality with the TrickFlow heads. A friend is running the AFRs on a 415cid small block in a Camaro, and is <font color=blue>very</font color=blue> happy with them. Their customer service has also been quite good.

I wouldn't worry about the weight savings. It isn't that big a difference in the grand scheme of things. IMO, your big advantages with the aluminum heads are better port design capabilities and better heat dissipation. You will find that this allows you to run about a half-point higher compression ratio on pump gas, as well.

I also wouldn't worry too much about reliability on the street. I know many people with performance engines w/aluminum heads as daily drivers. Just make sure that you use the proper head gaskets and some quality head bolts (ARP) and torque them to the proper spec with an accurate torque wrench. You shouldn't have any problems if you follow the manufacturer's suggestions.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just called Pace Parts a couple days ago and GM IS offering a 383 now. Longblock form only.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I sent Jim Pace an email requesting costs of various engines. One of those engines I requested price info on was a HT383. This was Jim Pace's response, "I do have a limited supply available at $3749.00, plus shipping". Not sure what the difference is between the HT383 they advertise at $2,679.95 and the one they responded in my email at $3749.00 but I would be cautious.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

9. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Here's the advertisement for the HT 383 on the Pace website. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paceparts.com/ht383_crate_engine.htm>http://www.paceparts.com/ht383_crate_engine.htm</A>

Chad

10. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

The difference in price is attributed to the fact that there has been a change in the cost. When GM first started advertising it was the lower price. Now...it's $3,700 and some change. But it is now available.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

11. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

So is it a short black or a long block?
    Chad

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Trick flows are crappy -Wow am I glad You guys replyed to that! Those where the heads I was thinking about getting. THANKS for the info.
    I'd really like to go with the G.M. Fast Burn heads, but the ports are too big (210cc). So I will probably do the AFRs

So G.M. finaly put the HT383 togather. Cool! I wonder what they changed from the original one they put in the catalog? Anyone know the specs?

Twiztid

Ohh, by the way. I was at the Cannfilds grand opening partty and walk through the shop- Very ccol!

13. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the input. Would I just be better off rebuilding my original 87 350 into a 383? I really dig the idea of the factory warranty, but this forum has me convinced that a properly built 383 would be the most torque I could I get without going to a big block. How's Summit for service? If I called them with my ideas, would they lead me in the right direction? Time isn't an issue for getting the motor done, cause its not a daily driver and I'm in the used car business, so having something to get around in is not a problem.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

14. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Summit's service has always been pretty damn good. As far as building it yourself versis buying one, it would be cheaper to build it yourself, but you have to make sure you get "ALL" your clerances right. Should you go that route, tell the machine shop what you are doing and they should be able to tell you exactly what you need as far as the heads go on clearances. Now for performance wise on the heads, you dont need no stinking aluminum, good stock type heads with 1.90/1.50's will be just right for the extra stroke of the 383.
    Just make sure you have the right cc chambers to comp for the extra compression your gonna be running.
    Im not sure of the heads you have, but for example, my stock 90 heads are 60cc and with a 383 stroke my compression would be way to hi, so would need a larger cc head or "maybe" get away with a thicker gasket, but I like solid material better than a damn gasket anyday.
    you should be able to build a solid 383 for around 1500.

When in doubt.....Use the Saws-all[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

15. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

Just some useless info[​IMG][​IMG]. Compression doesn´t build horsepower. A step from 9:1 to 10:1 woul app. increase hp with 5% and that doesn´t justify all the other mods (cooling, timing, etc) What compression you´ll be able to run also depends a LOT on what cam you´re running. A torque cam typically has little overlap which´ll build good cylinderpressure at low rpms but might suffer at high rpms. Oh, another thing. I was always under the impression you HAVE to get your compression up with alu heads because of the heat dissipation?? While I´m babbeing[​IMG], stock iron heads has a intake port of 150-160 cc, fuelies about 170cc and that´s a little on the small side for a 383. An 1.94" intake valve is OK for torque and up to 350 hp. If you can live with running iron heads and don´t want Vortecs, Dart has Iron Eagle, even with angled plugs and they don´t cost an arm and a leg (well....).

ONE more thing, a properly built sb406 will outtorque a properly built 383.

/Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

16. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i looked into buying the gm 383 and when i talked to jim pace they told me that if i wanted they would switch out the heads on it for the gm fast burn heads (which are basicly an alluminum version of the vortec heads with a few improvments, and i have heard nothing but good things about them and all of the magazines love them) for the cost difference of the heads on it and the gaskets,, and really if you build the motor right blue print balance and everything (not to mention that is race season here so the machine shops are backed up)then you will find that what they are asking isn't a bad price...
    Plus when most people build 383's to accomplish this they bore .030 over but the gm's dosen't they different length rod(i belive)...so there is something to think about...

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Good Lord! GM sure likes their blocks. I just got a 383 Fourstar motor (good motors) 375 hp and 450 ft/lbs that retails for 2K. Tis a long block.

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</A>

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey lara... did you ever see if Nick could find out exactly what cylinder heads are on that sucker? Do they have the motor posted on the web anywhere? I'm really interested to see how it goes when you get her tuned and put a few miles on it.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

19. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

yes GM is proud of them but remeber all(even the block and crank) new high quality(i.e. the lt-4 pink connecting rods) parts and most of their stuff comes with everything minus distrubiter, carb, flexplate, truck to stick it in..plus it has a warranty

20. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Go with Dart Iron Eagles.Ive been running these on my 383 for about 6 months and I am very impressed with the flow and power that they build.The only thing i would do different is to paint them!!!!!!!!!!!Brand new 900.00 heads all rusty make you want to cry!!!!!!