Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aluminum Intake Manifold Cleaning/Modifying

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Jul 30, 2005.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Sep 28, 2003
    Hey guys,

I am working on swapping TBI onto my 86 K-5. Right now, I am cleaning everything I can and rebuilding the TBI unit. I am wondering about the intake manifold from the TBI engine.

Will any machine shop know how to modify the intake to work on my 86 heads? I know the center bolts on each side need to be slightly modified to bolt up properly. Also, what is the best way to clean it? It is aluminum, so it can't be hot tanked. Any other good procedure to get it clean (the EGR was totally blocked off with crud.... :crazy:
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2000
    Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket 4 barell carb performance manifold like a Edelbrock Performer, Holley, ECT. Then get a: TBI to 4 barrel manifold adapter. You can even use your old Q-jet manifold.
    IMHO it is not worth the hassle or expence to drill out and grind the center bolt holes to the right angle (which may or may not work) to make a TBI manifold fit older heads.
    Plus TBI manifolds flow like crap.
    But if you want to use the TBI manifold they can be made to work. If you are going to have a machine shop do it you might as well have them bead blast it clean and at least gasket match the ports.