Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aluminum radiator size? need a hi perf water pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jul 26, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

guy in pirate selling all aluminum radiators and I'm pondering getting one. Biggest size he offers is 19" x 31"... that gonna be large enough to keep my 'lil 350 cool on the rare 100 degree day?

also, anyone run their rad in the back of their truck? if so, do you run a higher-flow-than-stock water pump or anything?

j

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't say anything for fact but I have a 19x31" aluminum rad, on the shelf for my K5, if its a 2 row one it should be as good if not better than what most guys upgrade to (big block/diesel 4 core). As for radiator in the back, if I do this(considering it) I will certainly put a higher flow pump on. Is it neccessary? I don't know. Do I think it a good idea? yep. Stock cooling system obviouslly wasn't designed for the rad back there, a little flow help really can't hurt, especially when you think of all the restriction you are puting on the system going back there.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 2 row alum. should be plenty.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, its 2 row, 1" tubes. Guess it oughta be enough.

You're prolly right on the high flow water pump. It'd be sending the water a lot futher in a rear-rad system... and pushing it upwards a couple of feet as well if the rad was mounted up high. Hmmmm, guess its time to check Summit to see what they got in water pumps.

j

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nice aluminum high flow one shouldn't be TOO much and will lose a little weight.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend just replaced the radiator in a '90 or '91 Suburban with an aluminum one. Just went to the store, told them what vehicle it was for, and they brought out one of the newer style plastic/aluminum ones.

I would bet he paid around $150 for it (might be able to find out which store, and exact price) but if you can get a welded AL radiator for a bit more than $150, and it is a bolt in, or darn close, I'd go that route. The plastic tanks/AL joints are two failure points you'd be eliminating with an entirely AL, welded radiator.

7. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Can you provide a link? I would like to get an aluminum radiator for my jeep.

Thanks.